Should the club sack Alan Knill?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Should Torquay United sack Alan Knill?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 105

taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Same thoughts forever!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

taunton_gull wrote:Same thoughts forever!
Yes, great minds and all that.. :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
teeboo100
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: alex russell

Post by teeboo100 »

opening myself up for criticism here because if i had a choice i would probably sack alan knill however perhaps the long term look is can torquay united sustain league football are we simply punching above our weight. maby we need to take a step back b4 trying to build the club back up again this year has been a nightmare and i think the problems run far deeper than sacking our manager. So perhaps keep alan in place until end of the season regardless of league position and then in the summer get around the table and sort this bloody mess we call a football club.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

teeboo100 wrote:opening myself up for criticism here because if i had a choice i would probably sack alan knill however perhaps the long term look is can torquay united sustain league football are we simply punching above our weight. maby we need to take a step back b4 trying to build the club back up again this year has been a nightmare and i think the problems run far deeper than sacking our manager. So perhaps keep alan in place until end of the season regardless of league position and then in the summer get around the table and sort this bloody mess we call a football club.
If we leave him here till the summer, we might not have a football club left to support - or a football club with no supporters left....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Fair points Teeboo and you are probably right that long term we don't have the passion or desire from people, even those who would call themselves 'fans' to achieve higher gates regularly. Even if we were top of League 2 we'd still be getting relatively poor crowds. I just think we can't give up and if that is what happens one day and we find our level then so be it but for now we have league football and I want us and everyone left who gives a sh*t to fight for it until it's gone.

Sadly if the board decide to stick with Knill and we lose against Southend then it is the only chance they will have of arresting this decline missed. After Christmas has finished we'll be cut adrift too far for even Superman to recover it and nobody can say they weren't warned. I got told that a lot of the board members don't even go to a lot of games anyway so perhaps they don't see how distressing the football has been to watch bar the odd game this season. I don't know if this is true so it's just a comment I'm throwing out there. If they DO go to most games and they've got eyes then they can obviously see what we have been seeing.

Southend at home must be won and if not Alan must go straight after or I would not blame anyone for not bothering to attend games over Christmas. It would hurt the club and I don't condone it but I fully understand after watching incessant rubbish this season. Not just incessant rubbish, Ling played incessant rubbish but sometimes it was successful. Knill is just churning out losing, gutless rubbish and he is suddenly expected to get us at least 3 wins out of our next 5 to even have a chance of getting us out of the bottom if other results go our way.

Can you honestly say we will get at least 3 wins out of the games we have coming up ending at Argyle?

Sack him now board or just hope that a Christmas miracle happens. They do and I still have a tiny bit of hope.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

teeboo100 wrote:opening myself up for criticism here because if i had a choice i would probably sack alan knill however perhaps the long term look is can torquay united sustain league football are we simply punching above our weight. maby we need to take a step back b4 trying to build the club back up again this year has been a nightmare and i think the problems run far deeper than sacking our manager. So perhaps keep alan in place until end of the season regardless of league position and then in the summer get around the table and sort this bloody mess we call a football club.
Agree with your sentiment, things do run a hell of a lot deeper than just the manager, however we must retain our football league status, all the evidence is in the conference, Lincoln, Hereford, Aldershot etc, and worse Stockport, these clubs may not even survive let alone grace the football league again. Without a new and major investor, can't see us rebuilding from the conference again.

And bringing Chester, Halifax and Darlington in the equation, clubs dipping into the conference for a second time don't always recover.
teeboo100
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teeboo100 »

scott you may well be right i was just looking for a different viewpoint really its just plainmoor seams a very sad place to be can alan knill be blamed for it all I just happen to think the problems lie alot deeper than just sacking the manager
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

beano wrote:He went Saturday. Come on down Mr Lee.
He didn't go Saturday, and he won't be going today. Will quite happily apologise if I'm wrong, but I'm 99.99999% certain I'm not.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

3 wins from 22 in all comps, worst gd in the entire league, bottom by technically 5 points, can't keep clean sheets and now we have to win 3 from 5 against Southend, Brizzle and Exeter at home when we have only won 1 home game all season and needed to score at least 3 to win that then we have away games at Daggers who are pretty decent and Argyle where our league status could be down the pan.

Trust him or sack him?

It would take a mammoth leap of faith in his ability to stick with him after looking at that paragraph that's for sure.

A lot of those clubs you mention teeboo were badly managed financially from the board and right throughout. Essentially we're just talking of needing to pay off a failing manager so we can get someone else in to do what he should be doing. Winning more than 3 games in 22. If we go down all for the sake of not being able to find a few grand then it will be an absolute tragedy.

I actually do think we as fans can raise some cash and Dave Pougher's idea of Torquay in Need is meant tongue in cheek but it's an option, it's more than others have bothered to come up with as a solution other than blaming the board and it could help. I'd chuck in a few quid but I suppose such an idea would dismay some of the more 'traditional' supporters.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

teeboo100 wrote:scott you may well be right i was just looking for a different viewpoint really its just plainmoor seams a very sad place to be can alan knill be blamed for it all I just happen to think the problems lie alot deeper than just sacking the manager
I appreciate that - and you are, as everybody else is, entitled to your views :)

I think that a lot of the sadness around Plainmoor is a direct result of the poor performances on the pitch, and our league position.

Knill may not be wholly responsible - the players play a big part in it too - but something HAS to change....the chain needs to be broken and the ship needs to start turning, before it is too late.

STIP
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

No Beano's right Alan Knill did go Saturday, after all never know a man yet who can make it through the day with out going at least once. Ask Trojan he's never out of the toilet, men of certain age can get help if they go to often.. :)
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

But on track, the correct answer to the O/P question is YES.

If we in league 1 then I would have a bit more patience but if we drop it's non league oblivion this time. We cannot allow one man who can walk with money in his back pocket even if we do go, we cannot allow him to decimate our spirit, destroy our club and just walk.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

If I'm honest, I just want him to go now.

Please - I beg of you Alan, if all that you want is "best for Torquay", then leave....because at this moment in time, that IS the best option for Torquay.

STIP
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

STIP
teeboo100
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teeboo100 »

actually andy i thought daves idea was very good but not to pay alan off but perhaps try and fund a new signing or 2 your 1st paragraph is all true i can certainly see the reasons for sacking alan i have called for it myself but on reflection i think i should show support and backing for our manager i go to every game home and away i had tears in my eyes on sat listening to what was being said around me. Alan is a human being he does not want to fail he wants torquay to win games as much as anyone of us the personal abuse being chucked around was cringe worthy our special club needs us every one of us can we as fans pull together and regardless of the result give our best to alan and the boys against southend. I felt ashamed of myself when i read back a post i made regarding sacking alan a couple of weeks ago well if he stays in his job good luck alan we can get out of it we can avoid the drop.
Last edited by teeboo100 on 02 Dec 2013, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.