Possible targets

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DerbyshireGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Billy Bodin

Post by DerbyshireGull »

We could always try and get Rene Howe back. :O

Apparently he's working as a kitchen assistant at a local Primary school now......... ;-)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Constable stated that he had offers from League 1 and League 2 clubs
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

brucie wrote:Constable stated that he had offers from League 1 and League 2 clubs
Which all goes to show that, once again, the lunatics appear to have taken over the asylum.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

brucie wrote:Constable stated that he had offers from League 1 and League 2 clubs
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/11231 ... rn/?ref=nt

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Jake Gosling made his international debut and scored for Gibraltar, against Estonia.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

Anybody know how do you become a Gibralterian international?, after all its a bloody small island with a lot of Spanish living there.Perhaps your dad jumped ship and had a good night before returning to blighty!, anyhow would you think it's a bit like being selected for Devon?.,
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

It does seem a bit like being selected for Devon, but this blog post seems to indicate that the GFA is much older than you might think.

http://thefootballhistoryboys.blogspot. ... -team.html

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by frenchgull »

Yes very interesting but for arguments sake, how dose Jake Gosling qualify for Gibraltar, second cousin twice removed, fourth grandmother on his fathers side,you might say who cares,certenly I dont, I am just intreagued.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

I Googled it, but couldn't find much. I've Tweeted him and will post his answer (if I get one).

Matt.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

ferrarilover wrote:I Googled it, but couldn't find much. I've Tweeted him and will post his answer (if I get one).

Matt.
His Dad was born there: http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27257242

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
DerbyshireGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by DerbyshireGull »

and he wasn't good enough to play for anyone else............ :na:

There should be a three part examination for footballers wishing to play football for countries not of their birth or upbringing. One should be a language exam. Myself for example should be able to communicate reasonably well and have a grasp of written and spoken German in order for me to play for Austria as I wasn't born there and didn't grow up there. I can sing that Phoenix song, wear a dress and have a beard whilst quaffing schnitzel but that's as far as it goes.

Secondly there should be an exam skimming the basics of that countries history, culture, geography, cuisine, customs and other important topics.

Thirdly there should be an examination of that countries football history both club and country. For example how many times have they qualified for the World Cup, who is capped the most etc etc.

If they don't have to revise for the exams then they are the right fit. The exams will be a breeze.

If they have to learn all this then they don't have the right to play international football.

Club footy is all about doing a few years here and a few years there for as much cash as possible. International football should not be about what a Brazilian whose hamster is Latvian can do for the Latvian national side but about what an individual feels inside about the flags being waved in the stadium. If they see the flags and it resonates then nothing else matters, not cash, not sponsorship, not playing for Northern Ireland because you are too shit to get into the England team. :~D
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Ha, he just replied with the same info that Scotty has posted. At least the BBC managed to get something right for a change.

Matt.
DerbyshireGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by DerbyshireGull »

Good luck to the lad though.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by frenchgull »

Thanks lads for the info on Jake Gosling and his ability to play for Gibraltar.At the end of the day I suppose he can put "International" on his C V.a bit like the guy who flips burgers at Mc Donalds could put Chef on his!!.No disrespect to either.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Didn't the HE say that Hargreaves was targeting Asa Hall as a potential signing?

Signed for Cheltenham. Hardly surprising