Gary Owers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Teigngull »

brucie wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 22:05 Owers will be under more pressure to get it right next year that's for sure - if we stay full time we really should expect to be somewhere around the top of the table.
A club of our size with a " budget for promotion" & fit for purpose full time pros should ,with the right attitude from top to bottom of the management structure, & everyone of us all pulling together in the right direction should be up there or there abouts, it won't be all plain sailing & there will be shocks & bumps along the way.
It's all down to having the right mental attitude for the division we're in ,billy big bollocks attitude will guarantee failure, win one game - forget it- move on to the next & so on, do it with professionalism & quiet conviction, teams have got to fear us, not think its their day out at Wembley (as they do now) Plainmoor has to he turned into an awful experience for the away side, they've got to come here fearing a hiding at best & if they happen to gain anything they've got to earn it not be given it.
We will be a big fish in a small pond in the NLS & everybody will want a piece of us, we have to start the season bearing teeth & be ruthless.
Easy ? Yes, it could be .
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

arcadia wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 22:25 You have got to ask would he have signed the crap that THE PREVIOUS MANAGER SIGNED
He's signed worse this season or are you conveniently forgetting that?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Southampton Gull wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 22:45 He's signed worse this season or are you conveniently forgetting that?
Both he and Martin Kuhl were telling me on Tuesday night the vast difference between signing players during the close season and during a season. I've heard him say it before ~ you only get the players other people don't want once a season is underway; and he does have a point there.
What I do believe is how hard they are both working NOW towards recruiting next season's squad. It's in our interests that they are successful!
Last edited by merse btpir on 15 Mar 2018, 22:58, edited 2 times in total.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

With the budget the previous manager had he was facing the same kind of problems ;-)
Dave

arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Southampton Gull wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 22:45 He's signed worse this season or are you conveniently forgetting that?
Thats your opinion and yes he's signed a few but they have been fit to play.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Have they really? He's signed so many duds this season it's been like a merry go round.

I expressed the opinion that Romain could turn out to be a decent signing which was pretty much scoffed at by most. Safe to say most of those are now of a different view.
Dave

merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

The number of unfit for purpose players that came in during the close season was horrendous and indicative of the poor diligence that was applied in securing them.

A low budget being to blame is no excuse; it is more a reason for diligence to be even higher ~ it wasn't; and we ended up with a shambolic start to a season that was so important for all concerned. I don't know who it has been more disastrous for; the club if it is relegated, or the manager under whom it was allowed because any prospective employer is going to ask very searching questions.

Remember that failure in his first ever managerial job has resulted in Chris Hargreaves being still out of the managerial game all this time after his disposal by the previous regime........it could well be the same for Kevin Nicholson.

Believe me; the worst kind of reputation any manager can get is one for wasting his paymaster's money!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 23:26 A low budget being to blame is no excuse; it is more a reason for diligence to be even higher ~ it wasn't; and we ended up with a shambolic start to a season that was so important for all concerned.
merse btpir wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 22:54 Both he and Martin Kuhl were telling me on Tuesday night the vast difference between signing players during the close season and during a season. I've heard him say it before ~ you only get the players other people don't want once a season is underway;

What I do believe is how hard they are both working NOW towards recruiting next season's squad.

I just cant buy into it Merse - 'shambolic start' really! - after 4 games. Mediocre, poor, bad even substandard perhaps and not, I suspect, meeting expectation, but I think hardly 'shambolic'. I would have thought that descriptive word more appropriate for the current management team whose results record over a considerable amount of games, and their signings to date is to say the least underwhelming, particularly with regional football looming.

Owers tells you "you only get the players other people don't want once a season is underway" In that case during the dormant period Herrera or whoever did a good job getting us Dorrel, Efete and Dowling while the season was underway. Efete and Dowling only on season loans admittedly but nonetheless I would be quite happy to see them sign up which should be quite easy if Owers is alluding that they are only here because Norwich and Bristol City dont want them.

What you do believe is "how hard they are both working NOW towards recruiting next season's squad". I am sure they are but their signings to date does not fill me with confidence that they will get it right any more than the previous incumbent, even with a promotion winning budget.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

It was a shambolic start. When Nicholson got the push we were up shit creek pure and simple. Sure we had a few injuries but it was the worst team in living memory.

It was hardly Herrera's fault that we lost the next six (or however many it was on the bounce) - this was Nicos shitshow and he had he stayed in the short term there wouldn't have been the remotest chance of better results, the damaging series of losses would have been the same.

His signings were appalling and his team was nowhere near good enough.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

This frontline of Williams and romain is something we have missed all season since the start. Clearly not set the world on fire now but look at the points it has got us. Gives us a marginal outside chance but surely Saturday is a must win.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

What players has Owers signed who are worse than Klukowski, Anderson, Gray, Fallon or Pittman?
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Anybody with a football brain would have kept Williams and Keating together at the end of last season Nicholson has destroyed Keating by not signing Williams.
I think I posted at the start of the season that it was a mistake to get rid of Williams goals win games.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Teigngull »

arcadia wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 16:14 Anybody with a football brain would have kept Williams.
I think I posted at the start of the season that it was a mistake to get rid of Williams goals win games.
And points make prizes :clap:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

arcadia wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 16:14 Anybody with a football brain would have kept Williams and Keating together at the end of last season Nicholson has destroyed Keating by not signing Williams.
It isn't rocket science to work out why Williams has had more clubs than Lindsay Lohan, his attitude is piss poor and has always been even back in his Tyro League days. I bet the Bromley manager isn't crying over him leaving just like a succession of his previous managers didn't either.

Seeing as you aren't using your brain on this issue perhaps you're better off concentrating on something else 😉
Dave

Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Southampton Gull wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 22:55 With the budget the previous manager had he was facing the same kind of problems ;-)
And as we all know a team with a low budget has absolutely no chance of achieving anything. I mean just take a look at the National League table, it's not like the team who are top have one of the lowest budgets in the league is it? Oh hang on....

Okay then maybe look at the League Two table then.....oh.

Well at least we can say that this holds true at higher levels, I mean there is no way that a team with the lowest budget in the Championship could have got promoted to the Premier League last season is there? What's that? Huddersfield you say? Well bugger me! ;-) :na: