Benyon Returns

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
The Farmers Friend
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by The Farmers Friend »

Didn't he leave us with some parting shot about being too good for Torquay? Personally, his tendency to go to ground rather than stay on his feet and score never really endeared me to him either. The fact that he's now back at the club he was too good for after having achieved the square root of nothing inbetween means that I'm not hanging out the bunting right now.

Hopefully I'll be proved wrong and Benyon is another Zebroski who just seems to thrive at Plainmoor. Hopefully he's grown up a bit too. We'll see, I guess...
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

The Farmers Friend wrote:Didn't he leave us with some parting shot about being too good for Torquay?
Don't think so. From my recollection, he did say something which put people's noses out of joint a bit. He was asked by a reporter how he felt about moving on from Torquay, the club where he'd come of age, etc, and he basically said something along the lines of, "Well, I'm a Swindon player now, that's my team and I'm not interested in the past."
TUST member 203
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

Having voiced my annoyance we went into the Fleetwood match with just Jarvis and Yeoman and no striker on the bench, it's only right I praise the club for what I think is an excellent signing. Hopefully it's with a view to a permanent return, too.

I'm surprised there's negativity from some about Benyon's return. He was by no means perfect, and it's right he often drifted offside and was outmuscled or sent tumbling by bigger centre backs, but his work ethic was outstanding, he was a real nuisance for defenders, and as 14 goals in 29 appearances in 2010/11 before he left for Swindon suggests, he had a habit of scoring goals (not many of our players can be accused of that!).

As for a parting shot, I think he just said exactly what you'd expect a young player moving up a division and to a bigger club to say. It's fair to say he was spot on reading the title of this article!
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/spor ... ie_Austin/
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Chris B wrote:Having voiced my annoyance we went into the Fleetwood match with just Jarvis and Yeoman and no striker on the bench, it's only right I praise the club for what I think is an excellent signing. Hopefully it's with a view to a permanent return.I'm surprised there's negativity from some about Benyon's return.
Likewise.

I still think it was poor on the part of TUFC not to bring Benyon (or anyone else come to that) in much sooner as if nothing else it left us without a striker on the bench to call upon. I'm all for Yeoman being given his chance, but to only have two strikers available and one of them(Jarvis) playing in a role which he is not particularly suited to, was a mistake in my opinion and by delaying the signing of Benyon (which had been rumoured for a couple of weeks if not more) we may just have thrown a few valuable points down the drain.

Of course, we will never know whether or not he would have made any difference to the result(s)... but it would have been nice for Taylor to have had that option.

Still think we might struggle to get any sort of result tonight, but looking forward to the next few games with slightly less trepidation and more confidence now. In particular, the prospect of Howe and Benyon linking up is an interesting one, which could work out well. Let's hope so! :scarf:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Wise words as normal Chris,stating the obvious it was more than likely a case of the club waiting for Lingy to return, out of respect after all he is the club's manager.

It is indeed strange for loan deals to go through late on a Sunday night, Saturday's match with Rotherham coming up the following Tuesday was clearly the catalyst for things happening that way. Normaly after a home defeat during a poor run of results, you get a case of fans having heated disscussions about what the problems are with everyone firmly sticking to their opinion is the correct one as the walk out of the ground.

The thing that struck me Saturday, was every group walking along were all agreeing, evryone was saying it, a striker who doesn't need 6 chances to score a goal . I think if it was not clear, it became clear after Saturday something had to chance and sooner rather than later, so lets hope Benners comes back with the same goal scoring instinct he left with.
Formerly known as forevertufc