How healthy are the club's finances????

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

When I look at all this bollox above I can only say that bloke Luca Pacioli has a lot to answer for. For the uninitiated, Pacioli was the Italian monk who invented accounting many moons ago. It is all his fault, when you kept your business takings in a bag under your bed things were much simpler. And in case you think accounting is scientific, just have a look at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accounting_scandals

Enron, Lehmans, etc etc. The list is endless. Us accountants have a lot to answer for!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

leetufc wrote:Matt, I haven't got time this morning to answer all your points, but hopefully will do later. Let me just give you an example of why we do things the way we do rather than your way.

You set up a company this year, and you make £2million sales, all received in cash. To make those sales you buy goods for £3million but all on credit, so we haven;t paid for them yet.

On your basis of including everything when you pay for it, your accounts show that you make £2million this year from no outgoings, which is a minor miracle, when in actual fact you've made a loss of £1 million.

I then look at your accounts and see your wonderful money out of nowhere company, and because I'm naive, I buy it without spending time examining your business. I then find out that not only does your business makes a massive loss rather than a profit, but that I also owe your £3 million debt on credit purchases.

Therefore to avioid this happening we show that £3million as costs in the accounts (even though they haven't been paid for but to reflect how much you have theoretically spent making your sales) and a liability of £3million on the balance sheet as you owe this money.

As said, sorry I haven't gone into more depth but hopefully will have chance later, unfortunately i've got a mock exam this morning which I probably should be last minute cramming for
dont worry lee, he still wont get it.
i think matt needs to just stick to law.............
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Afternoon Lee,

So, do I correctly infer from your above example that we go to all this trouble, all this time and expense and complexity, in order to protect Mr Bean from himself and stop him buying companies he doesn't understand? Juice doesn't seem worth squeeze, if you ask me.

As for you, Super... :@

Matt.

Did you see, by the way, Supes, that your boy was PNEFC's top scorer last term, with the grand total of 11 goals?
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

ferrarilover wrote:Afternoon Lee,

So, do I correctly infer from your above example that we go to all this trouble, all this time and expense and complexity, in order to protect Mr Bean from himself and stop him buying companies he doesn't understand? Juice doesn't seem worth squeeze, if you ask me.

As for you, Super... :@

Matt.

Did you see, by the way, Supes, that your boy was PNEFC's top scorer last term, with the grand total of 11 goals?
never in doubt........... :} =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Well he IS ex-Barnsley. :'(

All their players are destined to do well in the lower leagues............................ ;-)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Matt. The joy of doing annual accounts means that you revisit it every year to see if your previous assumptions are still applicable.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Oh, for what it's worth, transfer fees for players are amortized over the length of their contract and are impaired etc for injury, going to jail etc. Standard accounting treatment for intangible assets.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by leetufc »

ferrarilover wrote:Afternoon Lee,

The example was just one way of explaining the concept of why we do things. There are many reasons for preparing accounts the way they are. One of them being the above example - many ordinary people buy shares and need an easy way telling how well/badly the company in which they buy/own the shares are doing.

Another reason is comparability. Accounts are all prepared using the same principals so you can easily compare two different companies. With your method you could have large distortions between companies and it would be difficult to identify any differences between the two.

Accounts should also be consistent to clearly identify how well a business is improving or how poorly it is performing. To do this you need to apply the same principals year on year. Other you get wild fluctuations that are unexplainable.

Very large companies have to prepare a statement of cash flows in their accounts, showing the movement in the year to cash (which takes out estimated figures such as depreciation) which is essentially what you would like to show. Torquay aren;t large enough theat they are required to have this disclosure.

The concept is a matching principal - you want to match relevant expenses to relevent income. An asset will generate income over a period, so you match the expense for a period. Same as if we received a sponsorship deal for three year but were paid all the money in a lump sum. The income would be split equally over the next three years accounts.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Well, Lee, I can do little more than wish you the best of luck in what seems to be an impossibly complicated career.

In your expert opinion, are the club up creek without paddle, or are we alright?

Matt.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

You can tell its post season with a tit for tat thread such as this!!

Accounting - yawn :red:
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

I think what Matt really wants to know is the EBITDA. Perhaps someone knows and and explain it to him
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:You can tell its post season with a tit for tat thread such as this!!

Accounting - yawn :red:
Yes, it's such a shame that you're being forced to read it, presumably at gunpoint...

In the interests of fact checking, has anyone got access to the accounts (or whatever they're called) to see if we are in the poo or not?

Matt.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

You can spend £1 on obtaining them online from Companies House....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by SteveDeckchair »

They tell you nothing of interest Matt and as TUFC are a relatively small company, are worthless without the underlying information. Deja Vu! Ho hum......
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by leetufc »

Steve beat me to it. Torquay are a small company so are only required to submit abbreviated accounts which don't show all the information to the general public, so it's hard to get any information of great use.