Rene Howe - Signs for Burton Albion! A two year deal

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

That's bloody flash, where are you getting all this cash from?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Just worked out that Howe scored 10 goals from open play last season ( plus 3 pens ) and this season he scored 12 goals from open play ( plus 4 pens ). I think on that basis we perhaps have been guilty of over-exaggerating his ability at this level?
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

In a poor side as a lone front man. Sometimes the only attacking player in the side. It's all relative, put him in a decent side that creat chances and allow him to be in and around the box more he'll score goals.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

We weren't poor last season
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I'm not having a go at Rene just trying to analyse his stats and find out if perhaps he isn't as good as we think that's all. At this level he's ok but maybe he will struggle big time with a step up to league 1.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Personally I think Rene Howe is a much better all round footballer than Matt Green yet Green's just gone to birmingham! Maybe Howe should go to the Conf score 30 for Luton then get a move to the Champ!

The year before last we were a side built on defense, we werent' a fluid attacking side and still played a similar way to last. Howe still led the line for a side that didn't really create a lot.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Rene was the sole goal-threat, in a team that didn't make chances. He did well to score the goals he did, with the added pressure of knowing every chance he was presented with might be our only chance of the game.

As for who is more suited to higher league football, I think Matt Green. Howe and Green both very good but very different. Howe is the more talented footballer who makes and takes his own chances, Green is more reliant on service. I actually make Green the more likely to succeed in a higher division. I doubt Howe's tendancy to 'do it himself' is likely to be as successful against better defenders. Green''s ability to race defenders and score goals isn't likely to be hugely diminished at a higher level (though I'm not sure either of them is ready for the Championship).
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I agree with Fonda. Pace doesn't change, defenders might be a little quicker up the league but not necessarily and if Green remains confident he could do well. Howe is technically better the Green but he would definitely come up again technically better defenders higher up.
And yes Howe did well in difficult circumstances.
TUST number 080
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

royalgull wrote:Personally I think Rene Howe is a much better all round footballer than Matt Green yet Green's just gone to birmingham! Maybe Howe should go to the Conf score 30 for Luton then get a move to the Champ!

The year before last we were a side built on defense, we werent' a fluid attacking side and still played a similar way to last. Howe still led the line for a side that didn't really create a lot.
The thing is, defence isn't enough. Unless the team attacks and scores goals it's not going to win games, and without that fluidity last season (didn't we miss O'Kane!) Howe never got the service to enable him to score goals. Put him into a better team and he'll do well.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

Fonda wrote:Rene was the sole goal-threat, in a team that didn't make chances. He did well to score the goals he did, with the added pressure of knowing every chance he was presented with might be our only chance of the game.
Yet if Andys figures are right (and I dont see why not), he was outscored (pens apart) by Manse and equalled by Danny in his first season here. He is a competent striker but no more than that.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Surprising amount of interest in him then? If he's so average he wouldn't have options.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Plenty of alleged, unconfirmed interest. If he was as good as he thinks he is, someone would have offered him silly money by now and he'd have gone.
If Midson or Constable came on the market, they'd be snapped up by Portsmouth (or even a L1 outfit) within days.
Rene has been courted by York. There's the difference.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Or, he's got a lot of options to consider - hence the time he's taking over it.

I think any manager in our division would be happy to have him in their side.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Ellison got 11 for Morecambe ( no pens ), Redshaw got 15 for Morecambe (1 pen), Hyde got 14 for Barnet (no pens), Matt McClure got 11 for Wycombe (no pens), Romuald Boco got 10 for Accrington (no pens), Bobby Grant got 15 for Rochdale (1 pen) and there are quite a few players in struggling sides within a goal or two of amazing Mr Howe and having scored NO penalties. I wonder if there is a clamour for these players too?
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Just read the comments of opposition managers, every single week. He's seen as a threat at this level. Hence the deal we offered him, and seemingly plenty of others have too.