Smurthwaite-Norman

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

My question is, do we REALLY want a "knight in shining armour" if said knight will only buy us/contribute money if they get the freehold?

Does this not ring alarm bells with anybody else but me?

I'm fully aware that things are not good, but surely handing the club over to somebody who only wants the freehold is saying that we've given up, feel free to build a Sainsburys/Asda/Tesco/Waitrose/whatever other supermarket brand you can think of.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Scott Brehaut wrote:My question is, do we REALLY want a "knight in shining armour" if said knight will only buy us/contribute money if they get the freehold?

Does this not ring alarm bells with anybody else but me?

I'm fully aware that things are not good, but surely handing the club over to somebody who only wants the freehold is saying that we've given up, feel free to build a Sainsburys/Asda/Tesco/Waitrose/whatever other supermarket brand you can think of.

Here is an article from when he bought Port Vale where he talks about his reasons for not wanting to invest in a club who didn't own their ground.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/ ... ho-3015811
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

It rings huge alarm bells. It's the way that asset strippers are able to make money - they find a distressed company, buy into it and then sell the stuff that has any value before exiting stage left and letting the company die.

Any knight in shining armour that wants the freehold to the land should naturally be greeted with a healthy dose of suspicion, because that land is probably the only thing of value even remotely associated with the club. I don't know this Smurthwaite-Norman chap (although he has a fantastic name, a perfect name for a Dickensian villain), so I obviously don't know the situation, but at a time when the club is clearly in very real danger of going away entirely, it's possible that there isn't a lot of choice.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

happytorq wrote:It rings huge alarm bells. It's the way that asset strippers are able to make money - they find a distressed company, buy into it and then sell the stuff that has any value before exiting stage left and letting the company die.

Any knight in shining armour that wants the freehold to the land should naturally be greeted with a healthy dose of suspicion, because that land is probably the only thing of value even remotely associated with the club. I don't know this Smurthwaite-Norman chap (although he has a fantastic name, a perfect name for a Dickensian villain), so I obviously don't know the situation, but at a time when the club is clearly in very real danger of going away entirely, it's possible that there isn't a lot of choice.

Unfortunately Happy he isn't actually called Smurthwaite-Norman, he's called Norman Smurthwaite. No idea why the thread starter decided to put his name in this format.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Jerry wrote:Unfortunately Happy he isn't actually called Smurthwaite-Norman, he's called Norman Smurthwaite. No idea why the thread starter decided to put his name in this format.
Well...I did say I didn't know him :)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Actually I owe you an apology. The information I was referring to is on the Sturrock Sacked thread. There is some very reliable information on there.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Aaaahh !
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

anyone can see that with the present set up we are domed, there is no money therefore i dont see any way that we can survive in the present circumstances. unless somebody buys this club we are finished.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I pretty much agree with that despite my reservations about Smurthwaite. As much as I sympathise with the current board and realise how hard it has been for them I can't see any other way for us to arrest the slide.

Dean Edwards has screwed them over big-time and shown exactly where his yellow streak is. The only thing he cares about is lining his own pocket.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by ROADRUNNER »

totally right, he has left us in this mess , absolute moron!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Not so sure about the doomed bit. We may well go down- I think that has always been possible - now maybe it's probable. If it happens are we not reasonably well placed to return. ? I think if we start winning 1500 a game is the likely gate. It's stronger than most. If we get our act together I really don't think it will be that long...
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Well, when Deano was given a free transfer years ago, he did famously declare "I'll be back!"
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by ROADRUNNER »

and now he has gone with 25,000k in his pocket
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

We can recover from relegation. Even spending what we generate we can be a Conference level club, ticking along and waiting for a breakthrough - be it a new owner, investment, big cup draw, managerial genius or unearthed gem. You never know what it around the corner, and that is part of the excitement of supporting a club like ours.

Lose our ground and we lose any future. What is the cost of buying land and building a decent enough stadium? Well FC United's new ground cost £6.5m for a 4400 capacity, and that's pretty much the lowest cost of any recent new build. That's a sum of money we would never, ever generate. We would be groundless and there is not even a local stadium that we could ground share at - it would be the end of us. We'd cease to represent Torquay or be the club that generations of us have followed.

Any investment offer that comes with a condition of owning the freehold must be rejected. Once it's out of our control then we no longer have a guaranteed future. Even if he is well intentioned, what if he dies in five years time and his next-of-kin would rather have a pot of money than a football stadium? What if his business collapses and he needs to generate quick money from his assets? We simply have to retain control of our future, or there no point us going on.

I'm amazed that any fan would want to give up our long-term future for an influx of money now. There's no point finishing 20th this season if it comes at the cost of our future.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Gulliball wrote:We can recover from relegation. Even spending what we generate we can be a Conference level club, ticking along and waiting for a breakthrough - be it a new owner, investment, big cup draw, managerial genius or unearthed gem. You never know what it around the corner, and that is part of the excitement of supporting a club like ours.

Lose our ground and we lose any future. What is the cost of buying land and building a decent enough stadium? Well FC United's new ground cost £6.5m for a 4400 capacity, and that's pretty much the lowest cost of any recent new build. That's a sum of money we would never, ever generate. We would be groundless and there is not even a local stadium that we could ground share at - it would be the end of us. We'd cease to represent Torquay or be the club that generations of us have followed.

Any investment offer that comes with a condition of owning the freehold must be rejected. Once it's out of our control then we no longer have a guaranteed future. Even if he is well intentioned, what if he dies in five years time and his next-of-kin would rather have a pot of money than a football stadium? What if his business collapses and he needs to generate quick money from his assets? We simply have to retain control of our future, or there no point us going on.

I'm amazed that any fan would want to give up our long-term future for an influx of money now. There's no point finishing 20th this season if it comes at the cost of our future.
:goodpost: