Nicholson NOT Out

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

It will be like putting a plaster on an amputated leg to change the manager, haven't you learned it's made no difference since Knill ruined us. We should have stuck with Hargreaves, we wasted God knows how much replacing him and Hodges and for what? We've got an unfit for purpose board who have absolutely no finance or business sense and they've given us a budget that would not be competitive in the division below. I said it in the summer when I said we were certs for relegation, we are signing guys who are not getting contracts from clubs from divisions below us, what did you expect?

Changing Nicholson will make absolutely no difference to our current plight, the damage has been done and it's irreversible without some loon with too much money buying into the club which almost certainly won't happen.

Of course Nicholson shouldn't have got the job in the first place but we couldn't afford to offer Paul Cox a contract so we were never ever going to replace him with an experienced proven manager because they cost money which we couldn't give to Cox. So we were going to give it to someone who was local, who we didn't have to re house and who'd do it for free or next to free. If we get rid of Nicholson we will be in the same situation.

The managers aren't the problem ,the board and players are and that has always been the problem since Knill screwed up Ling's work.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Agree with above, believe also the person that employed AK in the pub probably has as much if not more to answer for.
york_gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by york_gull »

Agree with what RoyalGull says about Hargreaves. We would be in no worser position in the league table, and a lot better position financially considering the severance packages for him and his staff, along with he money spent on Cox and then Nico.

Power of hindsight.....
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Very easy to play the blame game but (as a fan base) we must take some part in this. At the time of the appointment of Knill popular opinion (myself included) wanted Knill in ahead of Ling. I realise this was not universal but the vast majority agreed with this so I do not blame them for this decision as it was what their paying public wanted at the time.

What I cannot forgive is the fact the club (old regime) allowed this opinion to be created by viscous rumours (re Lings absence and the alcoholic tag that he had been given). A truly cowardly and deceitful way of behaving. What's more - if the board had not be so cloak and dagger in the way they announced the financial situation at the club then action could have been taken (and an understanding from the fans) which could have stopped the never ending downward spiral the club has suffered and continues to suffer.

Sacking managers costs money and Dave is right when he poses the question as to what this has actually achieved other than further damage?
Last edited by Richinns on 14 Dec 2015, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Alley wrote:HI Brucie yes it was a farce smith not being registered but in the case of Carmichael he took a knock against Cullompton and they did not take a risk playing him by playing stupid friendly games we will pick up injuries pity because as others have stated and I agree Carmichael is probably the most creative midfielder we have and one of the best passers of the ball as I have said Nico move aside for Butler and get Carmichael back in the side
Chaney has the ability to create as well and he is untried.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Personally thought at the time Hargreaves wasn't the problem he was still managing a lot of Knill's mess and in fact all of our better players last year were lads he signed, MacDonald, Berry (who we couldn't offer a contract), Young, Ajala, Bowman and to an extent Briscoe. Most of our budget was taken up on the likes of Downes, Pearce, Tonge, Harding, Cameron, Benyon etc all lads Knill chucked 2 year deals at. I wanted to see Hargreaves given the summer to finally make an 11 he could call his own, having said that I wasn't unhappy with Cox I felt he'd give us half a chance (of staying up) because he's done well at this level before but when you saw the calibre of player or lack of it walking through the door coupled with a couple of injuries and the wheels fall off it's just a complete mess now.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Can't agree. Downes and Pearce have both gone on to bigger and better things, coupled with the players he (CH) did sign, how could he fail as miserably as he did. Chris Hargreaves = dump manager, and good riddance. Just to add the new board, would not have taken the action they did, with out it budgeted in or the means to do so.

No point playing the blame game, but as I said the other day, if you want to do such a thing, you have to look further back than Alan Knill, who also got well and truly forked over after he took the job, hence why a striker who scored twice for Luton Saturday didn't sign for us, and why he (AK) panicked giving Benyon a 2 year deal, and signed the only player he knew, and could get his hands so late in the day, Karl Hawley.

Go back to when we were 2nd in League 2, with desperately tired squad, Ling was not allowed to bring the reinforcements that would have seen us promoted, at the end of that season he sold £650k worth of players and was given nothing to bring new players in, maybe that was the start of Lingy's Illness as the pressure built.

It was the then board who screwed up Martin Ling and all his good work.
Formerly known as forevertufc
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

"Heard something said by the commentators today which I've heard many times before re; other managers, you can't blame Nicho they said, he didn't sign these players, he hasn't got his own squad"

If Nicho's signing of Andre Wright is anything to go by, gawd help us. I'll happily buy him a single train ticket to The Hawthorns.

And as for Sean Finch - he dipped out of some of the warm-up exercises and made precious little impact - no wonder he got the bird yesterday.
TUST member 200 ;-)
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Chesh_Fan wrote:
Your right Kevins game is better now than when Knill was here as he's lost weight and is fitter. The problem is the decision making team selections and substitutions. Barry Hayles had a very vibrant dugout and they made the decisions whilst he was on the pitch.[/quote]

What I am saying is your dug out made the decisions whilst the manager was on the field plus they were involved fully.

And your point is ? Bazza is just an assistant coach[/quote]
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

arcadia wrote:Your right Kevins game is better now than when Knill was here as he's lost weight and is fitter. The problem is the decision making team selections and substitutions. Barry Hayles had a very vibrant dugout and they made the decisions whilst he was on the pitch.
What I am saying is your dug out made the decisions whilst the manager was on the field plus they were involved fully.

And your point is ? Bazza is just an assistant coach[/quote][/quote]

And his point was Hayles isn't the manager, just a coach, and therefore doesn't make the decisions anyway.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Kit_robin wrote: What I am saying is your dug out made the decisions whilst the manager was on the field plus they were involved fully.

And your point is ? Bazza is just an assistant coach
[/quote]

And his point was Hayles isn't the manager, just a coach, and therefore doesn't make the decisions anyway.[/quote]

That explains it I did not know who Bazza was! Thanks. I thought Hayles was manager it makes a difference when the dugout is vibrant. Hayles or Bazza is a class act made our centre half look ---------
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Right, seeing as no one is listening to SG, I'll lay this out very simply:

You have £50 in the bank, this is all of your money in the world, and you need a new television. You spend on a TV from Argos.

Skip forward a few months. You do not have any money as you spent it all on the TV from Argos.

You decide that you no longer like your television. (For the sake of argument it's out of the warranty so no refund.)

CAN YOU AFFORD TO BUY A NEW TELEVISION??????????????? :@
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

What about if the TV is no longer fit for purpose....?!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

madgull wrote:Right, seeing as no one is listening to SG, I'll lay this out very simply:

You have £50 in the bank, this is all of your money in the world, and you need a new television. You spend on a TV from Argos.

Skip forward a few months. You do not have any money as you spent it all on the TV from Argos.

You decide that you no longer like your television. (For the sake of argument it's out of the warranty so no refund.)

True enough. What I think has made many of us angry is that the Board did not shop around well enough with the £50 that they had. They appear to have bought a second hand television with a cracked screen from Del Boy at a car boot sale for £50 when £50 might have bought them a more reliable TV from Argos or a number of other shops that they did not bother to visit.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

madgull wrote:Right, seeing as no one is listening to SG, I'll lay this out very simply:

Let's expand your analogy to make it a little bit more relevant.

You have £50 in the bank. You buy a television from Argos for £50. To pay for your television, you let 10 members of your family come round and watch the sport for £1 each (£10 an event).

After the first event you realise your television is effing rubbish, your family are angry and resentful at having to pay a pound to watch it and a couple of them decide not to come again, even though you tell them it will be ok and get better.

After another week even more of your family don't turn up. Suddenly, all that money you banked on you realise you won't be able to get because your television is rubbish.

So what do you do? You buy a television that is fit
for purpose and write off the initial expense, as your future income depends on it and who knows, if it's a really good television your family might tell other people, and you may even recoup some of your initial outlay. But at least you won't have just chucked £50 down the toilet.