Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

View1 wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 14:39 John Barnes was a football legend too... awful manager though, the two dont necessary go hand in hand.

He has football knowledge granted but no managerial experience, limited/no knowledge of our league and no experience on working with a low/non existent budget. Couple that with the mans obvious ego and general attitude and for me his appointment would be exactly the opposite to what we need.
you're too polite. he'd be a f**king disaster waiting to happen.
it would be hello conf south.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

View1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by View1 »

Very true, I tried to be non offensive but yes a f**king disaster is more appropriate.

The experienced names mentioned please me (I'd choose Cox) but at the moment it's all talk and we have yet to reveal our hand in terms of budget and salary... at that stage I have a nasty feeling the shortlist will evaporate.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

The delay is probably down to the shortlisted applicants running a mile after an interview when they realized exactly what a hopeless task it is, no money, most of the squad injured and owners like GI. The vacancy would have been sorted within a week else.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

View1 wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 15:03 Very true, I tried to be non offensive but yes a f**king disaster is more appropriate.

The experienced names mentioned please me (I'd choose Cox) but at the moment it's all talk and we have yet to reveal our hand in terms of budget and salary... at that stage I have a nasty feeling the shortlist will evaporate.
I play the devil's advocate! However I think you will find the shortlist has already evaporated. It's fairly evident we are not getting Cox or Moore (unfortunately) so what have we left? Point to an ex-international player with contacts contacts and contacts who wants to break into management (for no salary) and one get's replies of "putting an 'L plate' manager behind the wheel" and "Not while we are rock bottom and seemingly heading towards oblivion". Harrop's, "one more to interview" after 3 weeks is[font=Arial Black] 'spin' [/font]for 'no-one wants the job'. So the question is where does Harrop look next? Tiverton, Weymouth Dorchester, maybe even Buckland or will we go the traditional route of ex-players Chris Todd or just keep Herrera. Harrop's options are running out. I think many are beginning to realise the severity of the situation but nonetheless I expect when the appointment is made there will be a huge gasp of disappointment and frustration and this forum will light up like a Christmas Tree.
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by View1 »

Do you know this to be the case? We all feel it will go that way but is you stating managers have turned down the job factual or a conclusion you have drawn?
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

You got to hand it to GI. They know how to kick men when they're down.

Baffling why you all put up with it without any disquiet whatsoever. Where's the f*cking pride gone?!
Last edited by Yorkieandy on 04 Sep 2017, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

I am not Harrop's right hand man. Common sense should prevail on a Paul Cox appointment. Does one think Paul Cox who got Barrow to 11th and 7th place in the league in successive seasons left Barrow to line up behind five other candidates to prove to Doctor Harrop that he is capable of managing a relegation fodder side and then be told wait 3 to 5 weeks to find out if Doctor Harrop thinks he is good enough for the role. You draw your own conclusions.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I don't think GI are going to put people off taking the job. The expectations/budget might but not who the owners are. Look at Leeds, they still have people queuing up to be manager despite the shitstorm going on in the boardroom.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by View1 »

We are drawing our own conclusions, which are not exactly positive. However for you to encourage us to accept Sol Campbell cause all other avenues have failed in your mind appears a little odd tbh.

My gut feeling is that the top names will indeed run to the hills, my hope is that there may be a second level of manager after this (above the likes of Todd, Hargreaves and a Ex Premier league star with no experience) who may be desperate enough to take it.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

For 'wannabe' managers Leeds Untied is still a stepping stone to greater things whilst Torquay is a stepping stone to the Southern league - that's the difference.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

GI hold all the aces.

TUFC is still an attractive enough proposition to attract an ex Prem player desperately wanting to start up in management and with that desperation (and a few quid already in these players bank accounts) they may just accept any old offer from GI in order to get foot on the ladder.

GI could tell them the club have little / no money for players and the manager himself will get a pittance but it's the opportunity that's the real carrot.

GI could hire a manager who has been out of work for a long time and also desperate to get back in and thus be offered a poor contract offer and no money for players.

GI could give it to another member of staff already at the club ie Herrera.

They know they could appoint a new manager with the click of a finger yet it's taken nearly three weeks to sort this sh*t.

The only way they can now be redeemed is if they bring in a renowned and well known manager proven at significantly higher levels and give him a fair amount of budget to work with. Anything else is unacceptable and anything else will prove that they aren't prepared to invest jack sh*t.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

View1 wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 16:00 We are drawing our own conclusions, which are not exactly positive. However for you to encourage us to accept Sol Campbell cause all other avenues have failed in your mind appears a little odd tbh.

My gut feeling is that the top names will indeed run to the hills, my hope is that there may be a second level of manager after this (above the likes of Todd, Hargreaves and a Ex Premier league star with no experience) who may be desperate enough to take it.
As YorkAndy say's "Baffling why you all put up with it without any disquiet whatsoever" I accept View1 I am not positive, but I make no apologies. After 30 plus years plus supporting this club, though thick and thin, to then find the pain of not going to the match is less painful that actually going should tell you I am not a happy bunny. You are even now hoping for a second level manager. Why? When we were told of a list of top tier applicants and the Herald Express (GI PR company) even wrote that a appointment should be in place by Monday’s Bank Holiday. And here we are still interviewing candidates - no doubt we are scrapping the bottom of the barrel now. Unacceptable!

I am not encouraging anyone to accept Sol Campbell, I was merely playing devils advocate - although with his contacts and desire I would not be adverse to such an appointment.

So, yes. I am not prepared to be positive and a jolly happy-clappy fan willing to take all of the claptrap 'Spin' . In Harrop's own words"

[font=Arial Black] "Background ‘homework’ is likely to count for more than impressions given at any interviews."
[/font]
so why the hell are we still interviewing. Does not Ronnie Moore's of Paul Cox's background 'fit the bill'. Is it not time to voice our opinions in stronger terms?
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

According to Wikipedia this is how the rumoured potential managers stack up in terms of win rate:

Paul Cox 43.0% (despite a 20% win rate during his last stint here)
Richard Money 41.8%
Ronnie Moore 37.7%

Vs

Kevin Nicholson 30%

I think despite the marginal differences Richard Money's broader experience wins my vote...

Plus he looks like the kind of guy who would chin someone for underperformance 😂
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

View1 wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 16:00 We are drawing our own conclusions, which are not exactly positive. However for you to encourage us to accept Sol Campbell cause all other avenues have failed in your mind appears a little odd tbh.

There is a second level of manager; up and coming young managers from the leagues below who have proven adept at handling small budgets and developing talent. To be honest I was disappointed when it turned out that bobby Wilkinson and his management team ended up at wealdstone rather than here.
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by View1 »

Agree, id certainly consider that type of manager to be in the second level bracket....I'm sure more names will filter through when the named managers decide it's not the right location to move to (real meaning the wage was a p**s take, they had no money to bring players in and they realised the bafoon they would be reporting too).