Whinge, Moan, Rant And Anything Else Put It Here ...

General chat about anything else goes here.
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

Southampton Gull wrote:Always considered Emet a mate and he's right, just a moody barsteward. Bloody good laugh though :)

Oh he's sh!te with computers as well ;-)
Thanks mate, I love you you know!
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Which area is this Emet? There aren't that bloody many! :~D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

She's in Belle Vue, there are a lot worse....... :-/
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Not bad Emet although it's bang next to Hyde Park. Ooerrrr.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

the f**king bbc predictor! :@
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

BIFFY CLYRO!!!! Gone from a raw, talented unknown indie band 6 or 7 years ago to selling out and producing commercial sh*t!! Should be f*cking ashamed of themselves!! That is the last of THEIR albums i buy. I knew i'd bought a dud when the very first line of the very first song said, "BABY WHEN YOU HOLD ME.............." OH F*CKING PERLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!! Can you imagine Kurt Cobain or Eddie Vedder coming out with that sickening tripe? It would be enough to drive them to suicide ( well it DID for Cobain ).

BIFFY CLYRO HAVE NOW DIED IN MY CD COLLECTION AND CAN NO LONGER BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY AS A BAND.

Track 3 is ok though, SOUNDS LIKE BALLOONS. The rest make me want to chunder.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Wait a sec, so a band who were struggling to make ends meet by playing alternative music in the same old town halls and 3rd act supporting slots to a small but demoted fan base decide to change their style slightly in order to sell millions of records, headline festivals and basically never have to worry about earning a single penny ever again. Yeah, what a bunch of numpties!

The old school fans of the band will still listen to their earlier albums, and act smug when the old favourites are played at gigs, whilst the newer, more mainstream fans will enjoy their newer, more polished sounds reverberating around arenas and stadiums. That's not being a bunch of arseholes, that's just good common business sense. Every band is forced to develop their sound in order to appeal to the masses, Manics, Kings of Leon, even Nirvana to an extent with their acoustic MTV tour. The alternative would be to keep on playing the music of their roots and to have to close the band down within 5 years such is the thirst for watered down pop music nowadays.

Biffy can always be a band you love, just don't listen to their last couple of albums. They haven't sold out, they've become millionaires, I would do the same in their shoes.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

That's what i meant Ben, i'll still listen to the first album which was immense, the second one THE VERTIGO OF BLISS changed a bit but was ok so i'll still listnen to those. It's just the ONLY REVOLUTIONS and the new one which i've just bought which are too much mainstream and have many songs just not worthy of listening to. Making music is the core element, making money is great if it comes but you don't change your sound and lyrics to cater for the difference in audience preference which is what they've done. Many of the bands i like now they will NEVER be mainstream or get the chance to become milionaires because of the type of music they prefer to play, they don't change to suit, they continue, sell a few cd's to a minor audience which helps make ends meet but stay true to what they are. That's all i'm saying. They are in it for the love of making music not for the cash.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

If you listen to Biffy's first album when they were unknown it is not particularly easy to predict that they would have become mainstream years later. The sound was just to raw and 'unusual' to even consider it, now they delight in trying to produce some of this 'stadium rock' ballady things and anthems that are now going around like Coldplay do and stuff. Take Coldplay, the first album Parachutes was pure genius and took me a bit of getting used to. Then they had a few chart hits and brought out Rush Of Blood To The Head which reflecrted this although it still had some worthy songs on it, XYZ came along and i'd then started to prefer eating raw cauliflower than listening to anymore Coldplay.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by bengull »

I would change style of music in order to cater for the mainstream, f**k principles. I am sure they probably didn't want to and are still proudest of their first couple of efforts, but if its a choice between playing supporting spots at plymouth pavilions and exeter university, or selling out O2 arena and supporting Foo Fighters at Miton Keynes bowl, I know (as a musician and as progression of my band) which one I'd choose. Music these days is all about money and popularity. Individuality and sentimentality will only get you so far.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by bengull »

And yet as regards to Coldplay, Yellow remains their best song, biggest song, the song they give he most attention to at their gigs, and still the best received at their gigs. It's a song for the fans of the band. Personally I don't see how Coldplay get panned by so many, they just get better and better (even in their own opinion) X+Y was their worst album, guilty of over production, again as reflected by the fact they now ignore the album at their gigs.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Totally disagree Ben but when do we ever agree mate?! :lol:

I'm not saying i dont like mainstream music, Radiohead, Stornoway, Mumford & Sons etc but generally speaking these are all bands who have started out pretty mainstream anyway and so are just continuing what they do. It was just with Biffy Clyro i was hoping their music would take a more heavier , eccentric twist as i certainly think they are capable of it but they've gone the other way and it doesn't appeal to me anymore as i got used to their sound and it changed. It's like if Nirvana had started doing ballads and reflective type music like some of the sh*t that Oasis came out with post Definately Maybe (which was awesome if you excuse the Americanism ) then it would have been laughable and put off the very fans who were there when it all began. Is that progression? Nirvana are not such a great exampleto be honest as they weren't exactly mainstream but popular and well known in contemporary music and they also made lots of cash.

I'm sure you're a music aficionado Ben but if you google bands like Cannibal Corpse, Napalm Death, Raging Speedhorn, Sepultura, etc then i'm sure you'll see why they are pigeon-holed, have no chance of 'musical progression' and will never in a million years make mainstream charts but they can certainly sell out small venues like the Sheffield Leadmill and are happy about it. So are their fans.

You know i'm right mate. :~D :na: :lol:

Relax peoples. :)
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by bengull »

I'm not an music aficionado mate I just happen to listen to songs that I like, doesn't bother me particularly the path that the band has taken in order to make such a song.

Stereophonics are an excellent example, I love all their older material, it never gets old. All the old school fans of the band love and hope for those songs at the gigs. There isn't a lot of love for their biggest hit, Dakota, but everyone respects it because without it they would not be able to sell out arenas still, 20 years after they formed. They will always be popular because of that one song and their latest album is completely different to anything they have ever done. They are now making the music they love instead of the music others necessarily want to hear because they know people will turn up to their gigs regardless.

I like Biffy Clyro, I like their earlier stuff because its a bit different, no one can take their roots away from them. I also like their newer stuff, it sounds awesome in stadiums. If these newer songs give the band the opportunity to sing some of their older songs to thousands of people at gigs then I don't see what's wrong with that.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Fair enough Ben. My deep rooted love of alternative music was cemented during my school days and having to fight off almost daily attacks and abuse for being that way and the enjoyment, peace ( if you can BELIEVE THAT given how depressing and aggressive some of the music i listen to is! ) and solace i got in music and likeminded friends who loved it too, well, let's just say you can't go back.

I suppose it might be why i'm so opinionated and stubborn but what i do know is that i've never experienced an ounce of trouble at any gigs or any alternative nights i've been to but guranteed you go to a 'townie' pub in Torquay, Chesterfield or wherever you'll get attacked for daring to look at someone funny such as is the decency of some of these clowns who listen to all this dancy techno bleeps and squeaks bullsh*t. Let's just agree that at the very least, BOTH of us like music that is actually produced by talented musicians playing REAL instuments regardless of how much they get paid.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by bengull »

Completely agree with that mate, if it doesn't have a guitar it isn't worth listening to. I remember seeing ELO at Birmingham NEC. During the interval I could be heard shouting 'Come back ELO and play for a bit longer'