Racism in Football

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

forevertufc wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 14:10 Using a car breakdown isn't the best analogy here. If your car breaks down and you don't know anything about mechanics, you would indeed take it to a garage, but then your relying on the garage being reputable, charging you a fair price for only the work that needed doing, take to a dodgy dealer, and they could convince you into parting with a lot of money for that doesn't need doing, if you didn't know any better how would you know. See.

Bit like economics most of us are lay men who don't really understand. Some one on the BBC news says the pound has fallen because of a bleak Brexit warning, and we're like' oh no the pounds fallen in value what are we going to do' without really understanding what it means.

I'm no expert but what I do know is the bank of England make forecasts based on assumptions of what they think (not know) is going to happen, the Bank England are not deliberately lying to anyone, but you can have best or worst case scenarios based on whatever narrative that suits after all, the bank of England don't appear to have a single forecast right since Hovis invented bread.

[highlight=yellow] Mark Carney warned in 2016 a leave vote would cause a technical recession in the UK. Didn't happen.[/highlight]

Then earlier this year, the same Mark carney admitted his pre referendum predictions were all wrong. No shit, thankfully must didn't believe you then and don't now, as project fear, no surprise now the date looms large has turned into project hysteria.
I might misunderstand you slightly, if you mean leave winning the vote then yes you're right, although the pound took a massive hit, but if you mean Brexit on the whole then obviously we have haven't left yet.

All negative economic repercussions so far have purely been based on speculation, people worrying about Brexit which is fair enough. Also from my own experience working in the commercial vehicle industry, I saw last week a large order worth a few million cancelled because of the clients fears about Brexit. We will not see any real change until we actually severe ties with the EU in March, my own personal opinion is that there will be huge issues with importing and exporting products and this is where we will see the main problem, I would love to be wrong about this though.

Also the term "project fear", I think it's better the country was given warnings and as you say worst case scenarios in the event there is a recession at least the bank can say that we were warned.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

OllieGull wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 14:27 I might misunderstand you slightly, if you mean leave winning the vote then yes you're right, although the pound took a massive hit, but if you mean Brexit on the whole then obviously we have haven't left yet.

Mate, read the bit you've highlighted in yellow again, read it word for word, including the year, there's no need for it to be misunderstood by anyone. :-D
Formerly known as forevertufc
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

forevertufc wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 14:10

I'm no expert but what I do know is the [highlight=yellow]bank of England make forecasts based on assumptions of what they think (not know) is going to happen, the Bank England are not deliberately lying to anyone, but you can have best or worst case scenarios based on whatever narrative that suits after all[/highlight], the bank of England don't appear to have a single forecast right since Hovis invented bread.

Mark Carney warned in 2016 a leave vote would cause a technical recession in the UK. Didn't happen.

Then earlier this year, the same Mark carney admitted his pre referendum predictions were all wrong. No shit, thankfully must didn't believe you then and don't now, as project fear, no surprise now the date looms large has turned into project hysteria.
The Bank of England are using worst case scenarios as they have admitted. This is pure scaremongering.
To balance the argument perhaps they should also show a best case scenario.