Welling v Torquay United Sat 7 Sept KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
RedGull1902
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by RedGull1902 »

United in Devon you have obviously never played proper football in your life, blind or with rose tinted glasses! What is it? is this a forum where people can give opinions right or wrong? Or is it all about you? I want the best for our club but I say it as I see it! If you don’t like what you see here move on, I assume you were well impressed with todays game?
RedGull1902
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by RedGull1902 »

United in Devon you have obviously never played proper football in your life, blind or with rose tinted glasses! What is it? is this a forum where people can give opinions right or wrong? Or is it all about you? I want the best for our club but I say it as I see it! If you don’t like what you see here move on, I assume you were well impressed with todays game?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its an obvious error from the linesman,. That goal should have stood. Although we didnt play well galling that we didnt get that decision.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

RedGull1902 wrote: 07 Sep 2024, 20:52 United in Devon you have obviously never played proper football in your life, blind or with rose tinted glasses! What is it? is this a forum where people can give opinions right or wrong? Or is it all about you? I want the best for our club but I say it as I see it! If you don’t like what you see here move on, I assume you were well impressed with todays game?
Yeah it's a forum where people can give their opinions...including on each other's opinions, that's how a forum works!

Your original statement is a bit hysterical, let's be honest. No need to be so negative when we're in the playoffs after 8 games...after being close to being out of existence altogether; I get you say mid table "isn't bad considering what we've gone through", but whining that we're "just a bang average mid table side" after only our second defeat of the season is just venting.

A little perspective wouldn't go amiss, is what United is probably trying to say.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

madgull wrote: 07 Sep 2024, 21:26 Yeah it's a forum where people can give their opinions...including on each other's opinions, that's how a forum works!

Your original statement is a bit hysterical, let's be honest. No need to be so negative when we're in the playoffs after 8 games...after being close to being out of existence altogether; I get you say mid table "isn't bad considering what we've gone through", but whining that we're "just a bang average mid table side" after only our second defeat of the season is just venting.

A little perspective wouldn't go amiss, is what United is probably trying to say.
Bang on :goodpost:
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

First time I have seen Torquay since the disaster against Worthing . Good vibes from the travelling Gulls which was great to see Especially after last year.
Thought neither team did enough to really win and to be honest did not feel like we were going to lose.
Disallowed goal would have certainly changed the game if allowed.Had a spell early second half hit the post then the bar felt like were turning the screw and would go on to score any minute but Welling weathered the storm. Then it became a mistake ridden slug fest
Think we really need to be patient this team has only been together a few weeks. There seems to be a lot of confidence amongst the travelling support that we are heading in the right direction. And thankfully the feel good factor is back. I am confident we will be there or there abouts come the end of the season. And as Southampton Gull said we have have averaged 2 points a game this far and if we keep that going we will be fine and dandy.
On personal note I just really want to see Torquay win away in London the last time I think I witnessed it Paul Buckle was in charge.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

RedGull1902 wrote: 07 Sep 2024, 20:06 Bang average this team , will win a few lose a few , mid table end of season which is ok after all that gone on, first half against chippy out of 7 games was where we looked very good , the rest is just hoof ball and not good to watch, next thing I will be called negative by some! But still early put a run together you never know, would no want to go in the NL with this team
Yawn.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

RedGull1902 wrote: 07 Sep 2024, 20:48 United in Devon you have obviously never played proper football in your life, blind or with rose tinted glasses! What is it? is this a forum where people can give opinions right or wrong? Or is it all about you? I want the best for our club but I say it as I see it! If you don’t like what you see here move on, I assume you were well impressed with todays game?
Obviously...
A few on here actually have... :whistle:
What about you 1902??? Was it in the 1920-30's???? :|
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

RedGull1902 wrote: 07 Sep 2024, 20:34 We will see who’s closest
Won 5, Drawn 1 and Lost 2. Right now you're way off 😉
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Wotton didnt think much of it either. What he said was correct though. We were really poor but on another day could have won the game.

Still think it was a lperfectly good goal though.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Very frustrating. Route one or hoof-ball lost us that game. You could see after 10 minutes that we were capable of outclassing Welling but keep using the widely derided footballing tactic of playing back to Hamon to launch the ball upfield like a Lunar Apollo Module. Not sure why we spend 3 minutes or so playing across the back-line if we are not going to find the gaps to play to a midfield/striker combo I'm all for mixing the game up but 70% of our play appeared to be hoof-ball and I'm frustrated because we are better than that and ought to playing more ball to feet to try and entice the opposing team to press so that there will be more space in behind them for goal scoring opportunities. Yours 'the Armchair Manager'.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Wotton said the same as you did, Armchair Gaffer 👍
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
AdrianC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Myers
Watches from: Pop side

Post by AdrianC »

Evening all.

Was supposed to be playing my last cricket match of the season, rained off in Brighton…. brilliant, made a mad dash to Welling despite numerous signal failures around East Croydon!

Took a mate of mine who is complete neutral and he saw nothing wrong with our goal….

Tried hard could do better sums it up for me.

We may not be the team of midgets previously assembled but Welling were much bigger than us all over the park, so balls in to the box unless delivered with pin point accuracy become a waste of time. Cook to me was at times trying to buy the foul, when that ploy didn’t work, stop doing it! I’m not advocating signing a talentless lump upfront but at the moment the opposition talentless’ish lumps continue to win the aerial battle.

Also a few occasions where we appeared to lose the ball because the player in possession wasn’t spoken to… man on, up you ar** etc, obviously viewing from a distance I can’t say if there was a call or not but for me it would indicate a lack of communication.

Frustrated after today, disallowed goal, hit the post etc before their goal but onwards and upwards! Rome wasn’t built in a day!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

He did! Fair play to the man, although I am a bit dubious given he is the man issuing the tactic's. Nonetheless, I hope that the drubbing by a team that were second best in every dept will give the gaffer food for thought in re-evaluating our tactic's for our up and coming games. We are still in a great position to push on.
Unitedtillidie
New Signing
New Signing
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Unitedtillidie »

Not a fan of this hoofball at all , but Warnock made a career of it so I guess this is what we’ve got to look forward to . Won’t keep our crowds at 3000 though and I hope we do start to evolve gradually through the season . Not a bad start and off the pitch things are really looking up 👌