shaun cooper- Signed

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Sorry to put a dampener on this, but is Shaun Cooper as good as everyone is saying? I know nothing about him and have never seen him play so cannot comment. I just think it rather strange that Portsmouth haven't extended his time with them if he's that good. After all, they're in no position to release decent players ! Any thoughts anyone ? :-/
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

tomogull wrote:Sorry to put a dampener on this, but is Shaun Cooper as good as everyone is saying? I know nothing about him and have never seen him play so cannot comment. I just think it rather strange that Portsmouth haven't extended his time with them if he's that good. After all, they're in no position to release decent players ! Any thoughts anyone ? :-/
All I can say at the start of the season he played as a centre half and was a lot better than we had at the time and quicker. Heard could be injury prone!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

The question I have is where is going to play? - wasn't he playing right back for Portsmouth - he surely won't replace O'Connnor. He surely won't be playing centre half as we have Downes/Pearce, so the obvious position is left back to replace Nico.
The only other option is central midfield and Lathrope would be the only candidate to miss out there.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

It's not always that clear cut tomogull when a player moves on from a club, as I am sure you're fully aware, Shaun Cooper is an experienced player, who has played at a higher level, more importantly for us can play in a number of positions and no doubt comes at the right price, when he played for Portsmouth against us, thought he looked decent enough, yep would say this a good signing, as in my own view he's a player that makes our squad stronger.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

forevertufc wrote:It's not always that clear cut tomogull when a player moves on from a club, as I am sure you're fully aware, Shaun Cooper is an experienced player, who has played at a higher level, more importantly for us can play in a number of positions and no doubt comes at the right price, when he played for Portsmouth against us, thought he looked decent enough, yep would say this a good signing, as in my own view he's a player that makes our squad stronger.
Yes - that makes sense Forever - thanks.
Lathrope had a great game against Morecambe, Brucie, and according to reports, had another good game last week doing what he does best - protecting the back four. Would be most surprised if he lost his place if he keeps playing the way he is.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

That depends on whether he is being signed to go straight into the first team Brucie, maybe that's not the case, we've got 20 games to play, there will be injuries, suspensions, has O'Connor got any kind recall clause, Shaun Cooper as said is a player who can play in a number of positions, a useful addition.
Formerly known as forevertufc
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

Given Nico's mini career revival, and Lathrope's performances since returning, I would be stunned if Cooper came in to play the holding role. More likely is that Cooper will have a couple of weeks on the bench, and if Nico drops his performance levels, we have someone with the talent and quality to replace him.
TeenageGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by TeenageGull »

Just to add a bit more info, Stockley just included shaun cooper in a tweet of his. Im guessing he is down here at the moment so maybe its all finished?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Utility player. He's not here to play anywhere specifically, he's here in case any one of about 6 first teamers get injured or suspended.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

In the same way that rangeroverlover keeps one of those in case one of his six Ferraris breaks down... :)
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Replacement for Nicholson.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote:Replacement for Nicholson.
Why this continued sniping at Nicholson, Wivel ? We all know he didn't get on with Knill's style of play (whatever that was) but when he came back in the team for the Morecambe game, he played well and several included him in their 'five best players' at Wimbledon. I bet Nico will be in the line up on Saturday and if he plays as well as he did against Morecambe and at Wimbledon (according to reports), he will keep his place. Simples !
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Agreed. The turnaround in Nico's fortunes echoes that of the club and the team following the arrival of Chris Hargreaves, and must surely indicate the difference in approach and style and managerial qualities Hargreaves has brought in. It's going to be an exciting second half to the season..
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

He isn't quick enough though and will be targeted by every opposition manager - its got nothing to do with Knill or Hargreaves - neither can make him run any faster.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

brucie wrote:He isn't quick enough though and will be targeted by every opposition manager - its got nothing to do with Knill or Hargreaves - neither can make him run any faster.
Whilst the wings are a bit softer, as v Morecambe, or as at Wimbledon, narrower, it hasn't been too much of a problem. But it was pretty clear Ardley decided to put some pace up against Nico in the second half and I would agree with brucie that we'll soon see the opposition try to target our left side. Just as we did before.

Have heard it said St. Luce didn't beat Nico once, but he did, and quite a few times. He was Wimbledon's only bright spark in a generally piss poor performance by them. His problem wasn't beating Nico, it was finding an end product when he had.

The best thing about Nico recently has been his dead ball and inswinging/outswinging precise delivery returning. That and we haven't lost with him in the side, of course.