Give Hargreaves A Chance

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

arcadia wrote: You obviously don't know how difficult it is to manage a side with players contracted to the club and they are not what you want but have to play them.
I know how to manage a team of staff that include people I don't like or who are difficult individuals. You coach them to work for you the way you want them to. You don't bring your mates in to work for you.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

hector wrote: And that will be the real test. Left with the dross that Alan Knill created, Hargreaves has struggled. There will be no excuses when it is his own team. It wouldn't surprise me to see Goodwin and Cargill here for the season next year. I cannot imagine Spurs would look to loan Coulthirst to a non-league team but he would do incredibly well at that level.

We need a forward and our best bet of getting one is to look at good players at Conference South/North level who bang the goals in, like Ebbsfleet did when they signed Michael Gash (name always makes me chuckle) from Cambridge City. There will be gems below the Conference, just waiting to be discovered - just hope we have the wherewithal to try and find them.
:goodpost:

I agree, I don't understand why we always look UP the ladder when perhaps we should try looking for gems DOWN the ladder.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

ROADRUNNER wrote:By the way burnham, neither nice or manse will be here next season, ch knows they have to go.
So good you said it twice... =D

Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

ROADRUNNER wrote:Give ch a chance, knill fuc__ed it up before he got here, let him build his own team during the summer then judge him on results then not now, to many football managers on this forum who think they know it all, give the man a break.harry rednapp could have taken over from knill but he wouldnt have saved us either, the damage was done.
Harry Redknapp is heavily overrated but always good for a quote from his car window and loved by the media.

hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

forevertufc wrote:Hector CH, took an 18 man squad to Rovers yesterday only 7 of them 6 starting 1 sub were players signed by Alan Knill , roughly 39% of the squad, and just over 50% started were signed by AK so quite how it could AK's team I don't know, AK was right royally forked over by certain members of the board, the same way, I've now realised Martin Ling was, not his fault we are were we are, as said before given peanuts, could only pay monkeys.

In the squad yesterday was, Tonge, Pearce, O'Connor, Cameron, Harding, Benyon, Chapell, so come Hector put your hand on your heart and be honest, tell us which these players you actually think our really dross.

I'll give you my thoughts, Pearce, O'Connor and Chapell fantastic players signed by Knill, although CH has completely destroyed our most consistent attacking treat in Chapell, preferring his best mate and the utterly useless Danny Stevens.

Cameron starting to show the potential AK saw in him, Harding the most under rated player we've had in along time, a large amount fans simply don't like him , Harding will never win here, he could score a hat trick and some fans will still say he's crap, pretty rough when face doesn't fit.

The only dross he signed was Tonge, and sadly for me, because I thought it was a good signing at the time Benyon, not bad in my view.
Would this be the same Pearce that Knill wasn't even playing? Our best player, who he dropped? Likewise, he wasn't picking Cameron. So that leaves Tonge (dross), O'Connor (loan), Harding (so far dross), Benyon (dross), Chapell (who had stopped playing around 6 months ago) and Benyon (utter dross), you forgot Hawley (dross). Also, he signed these players on 2 yr deals. So we are stuck with them. In the meantime, Knill - after his 'give the team 10 games' decided from then on to chop and change, bring in loanee after loanee. He had a big squad - we keep reading nonsense that he was shafted by the board - what is the evidence for this? He had a large squad which he also bolstered with lots of loan signings.

What we do know, is that Knill had a largely terrible record before he came here and he had a terrible record here. It can't be coincidence. Anyway 6 out of 5 is a majority
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

hector wrote: Would this be the same Pearce that Knill wasn't even playing? Our best player, who he dropped? Likewise, he wasn't picking Cameron. So that leaves Tonge (dross), O'Connor (loan), Harding (so far dross), Benyon (dross), Chapell (who had stopped playing around 6 months ago) and Benyon (utter dross), you forgot Hawley (dross). Also, he signed these players on 2 yr deals. So we are stuck with them. In the meantime, Knill - after his 'give the team 10 games' decided from then on to chop and change, bring in loanee after loanee. He had a big squad - we keep reading nonsense that he was shafted by the board - what is the evidence for this? He had a large squad which he also bolstered with lots of loan signings.

What we do know, is that Knill had a largely terrible record before he came here and he had a terrible record here. It can't be coincidence. Anyway 6 out of 5 is a majority
Got two Benyon's then have we? .... and make your mind up, is he dross or utter dross? Obsessive behaviour plays strange tricks on the mind. Although I suggested getting out in the sun more on another thread I think maybe a lie down in a dark room for a few days may produce a better result ;-)
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

The trouble with "giving Chris a chance" is that there are too many people that aren't going to renew their season tickets for next season - for varying and understandable reasons.

Less season tickets sold = less money in the coffers = less budget for players, which means we get shite and then Greavsie gets harassed all season when we struggle.

It's a rather vicious circle.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

Cant keep everyone happy ,the guy still needs a chance. :)
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

Cant keep everyone happy ,the guy still needs a chance. :)
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

stefano wrote: Got two Benyon's then have we? .... and make your mind up, is he dross or utter dross? Obsessive behaviour plays strange tricks on the mind. Although I suggested getting out in the sun more on another thread I think maybe a lie down in a dark room for a few days may produce a better result ;-)
I think we could have 16 Benyons and the outcome would be the same. :scarf:
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Scott Brehaut wrote:The trouble with "giving Chris a chance" is that there are too many people that aren't going to renew their season tickets for next season - for varying and understandable reasons.

Less season tickets sold = less money in the coffers = less budget for players, which means we get shite and then Greavsie gets harassed all season when we struggle.

It's a rather vicious circle.
It is a vicious circle. However, i don't believe that those not renewing their season tickets will suddenly change their minds if CH is given the bullet and yet another manager is appointed. We have to give him a chance.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

hector wrote: I think we could have 16 Benyons and the outcome would be the same. :scarf:
We should try lining up with 16. Would confuse the opposition and may look more solid at the back. A few times this season I've actually counted the number of players in the opposing team as I have been convinced they had more than us! ;-)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I've decided that it's unfair to doubt and criticise CH at this stage in his managerial career. He shall therefore have my full support for the whole of next season. I may even attend a few matches at Plainmoor if my finances allow it.. :scarf:
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

stefano wrote: We should try lining up with 16. Would confuse the opposition and may look more solid at the back. A few times this season I've actually counted the number of players in the opposing team as I have been convinced they had more than us! ;-)
Midfield would get congested. Even more people for Mansell to misplace a pass to! ;-)
Bomber
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Bomber »

Burnhamgull wrote:I agree with Hector, CH's final act of madness was when he took off the only player capable of unlocking the scunthorpe defence, Coulthirst, and brought on Benyon. The fact Coulthirst was stuck on the wing was bad enough but to take him off seemed crazy.

For some reason, Chapell appears to have gone right down the pecking order. Has there been a falling out? Is he injured?

Chapell on one wing, Cameron on the other with Bodin playing just behind Coulthirst up front would be my preferred setup. This would be Bodins last chance to prove he's got it. CH would also have to play these guys for 3-4 matches to give them chance to gel. Stop swapping everybody around every week.

When CH was commentating on games he would be very critical of the performances but as somebody has already commented, it's not as easy as it looks. Perhaps Chris should have stayed as a media whore and left managing to people who can do it.
This isn't a valid comparison, Wes Saunders had been out of the game for five years working in his family clothing business, CH had learnt his trade at Exeter and latterly at Bournemouth as a coach - so he had earned the right to be offered the job at least.

Perhaps could have had Dave Byrne as his No. 2 instead of Lee Hodges, but I don't think the club could have afforded Budgie.