Chesham United v Torquay United - VNSL game 5 - 26th August 2024

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ArkansasGull
Trialist
Trialist

Post by ArkansasGull »

Sounded like a tough game on the radio, anybody have much feedback on how Mussa,is doing 5 games in?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Welcome to another US based Gulls fan, we are everywhere !
Yes Mussa is doing ok, has been started once or twice but used mainly from the bench so far and has shown flashes of real talent, he goes past players with ease and looks to have a shot on him. If he gets fit which he isn't and has the Wotton work ethic he will be a matchwinner .
Wubble U
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Sills
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Wubble U »

ArkansasGull wrote: 28 Aug 2024, 01:19 Sounded like a tough game on the radio, anybody have much feedback on how Mussa,is doing 5 games in?
So far, I've found Mussa a very frustrating player. He obviously has tons of ability and can skip past a couple of players with ease.
However, he seems to me to be only concerned with how he looks, rather than playing the right ball to advance play.
A bit of a show-off, if you will.

He'll dance around with the ball, nice dinks and touches, beat a man, then ignore the opportunity to capitalise by laying it off, and he tries to find someone else to beat or goes for the worldy shot or pass, then lose it easily and we're on the back foot.

Quite rightly he has been relegated to the subs bench since the opening game, and this actually may be the best place he can affect a game from, when we need that bit of flair to try and get back into a game.

At the moment IMO a luxury player, who doesn't match his team-mates' work ethic, but if he can become a more effective team player with coaching over the season, we have a real prospect on our hands.
Owlgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Owlgull »

Wubble U wrote: 28 Aug 2024, 08:17 So far, I've found Mussa a very frustrating player. He obviously has tons of ability and can skip past a couple of players with ease.
However, he seems to me to be only concerned with how he looks, rather than playing the right ball to advance play.

He'll dance around with the ball, nice dinks and touches, beat a man, then ignore the opportunity to capitalise by laying it off, and he tries to find someone else to beat or goes for the worldy shot or pass, then lose it easily and we're on the back foot.

Quite rightly he has been relegated to the subs bench since the opening game, and this actually may be the best place he can affect a game from, when we need that bit of flair to try and get back into a game.

At the moment IMO a luxury player, who doesn't match his team-mates' work ethic, but if he can become a more effective team player with coaching over the season, we have a real prospect on our hands.
Accurate summary
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Gull1899 wrote: 26 Aug 2024, 19:40 Feels like we are working hard enough, but quality not there yet. Performances have to rise soon or we wont keep having our workrate to rely on. I trust the manager to be working in this though, seems an honest guy & hopefully can improve our levels of play as we go on
I agree with your comments regarding the workrate and as they play together the understanding will only improve, but you cannot coach quality into players,they either have it or they don't, our squad was assembled in quick order and with a smaller budget than last year, even at this early stage of the season several players will obviously go onto better things such as dreyer, carson and possibly tonks , threalkeld and moussa should be playing in a higher league if it werent for recurrring injuries, the remainder are good honest journeyman footballers. We have no randall or Lawrence or speedy wingers that excite the crowd but I am hoping that will come from loans.
Skillsy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Skillsy »

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but Paul Wotton made an excellent tactical substitution when bringing on Dean Moxey for Matt Carson at Chesham. Probably the obvious move was for Moxey to go into the back three, and push Jay Foulston out to left wing back at that time. But no, the manager put Moxey on at left wing back and was rewarded when his superb cross created the winner for Brad Ash.

Impressive.
TUFC67
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TUFC67 »

Wubble U wrote: 28 Aug 2024, 08:17 So far, I've found Mussa a very frustrating player. He obviously has tons of ability and can skip past a couple of players with ease.

I wholeheartedly agree with your thoughts. He tries to dribble past, or nutmeg every player he faces, rather than play the simple option. Bit like a poor man's Mustapha Carayol at times. Exciting and frustrating in equal measure. He can give the ball away cheaply and did so on numerous occasions when coming on, against Chesham. He needs to become more consistent and with the right coaching and perhaps some time warning the bench, he should get the message. He has the potential to become a firm fans' favourite if he does.
ArkansasGull
Trialist
Trialist

Post by ArkansasGull »

desperado wrote: 28 Aug 2024, 08:09 Welcome to another US based Gulls fan, we are everywhere !
We are! I moved to Arkansas 9 years ago and still make it priority to keep up with Torquay. Been reading this forum for over 15 years, just now decided to join in.