York City v Torquay United - 24/11/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

6 attempts was 6 more than the last match, 2 shots on target was 2 more than last week so all good.. :)[/quote]

I'm fairly sure our goal against Sarfend was a shot on target?? :Oops:

Interesting that Dinger went with Easton over Lathrope - must consider him a more 'complete' midfielder.

Looking forward to hearing some reports and ratings. The official report and the stats seem to suggest we nicked the win.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Sodding hell what a result, were we playing 442 or something!?

Onwards and upwards!!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Don't know if i should be posting when i've been such a t*t but anyway.

Today was by no stretch entertainment but the lads went out there and gave a thoroughly professional performance all round and i couldn't fault one of them. We created little again but the key was the formation. We were able to offer more support more quickly and it was noticable that for both goals we had players available in the box to finish. Playing one up top would have been a massive error and i give Martin full credit for changing this. Thankyou and well done. York were a little disappointing but still had more than enough chances to have won the game. Great defending and Pokey making some superb saves kept them out. We kept it tight at the back and nicked the goals when the opportunities presented themselves. A perfect smash and grab. Again though, it was the availability of players in the final third that enabled us to create chances. Rene set the second one up superbly and Manse wasn't really missed.

I can post more later but all in all i am very, very pleased and i give Martin and the players full and deserved credit for this victory. Great to stand with the usual motley crew again and say hi to Bix again. Atmos was non existant with about 10 of us singing but we did our best. Hope i am welcome back on here and that Nick has forgiven my insults. :scarf:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

jonnyfive wrote:6 attempts was 6 more than the last match, 2 shots on target was 2 more than last week so all good.. :)
I'm fairly sure our goal against Sarfend was a shot on target?? :Oops: Interesting that Dinger went with Easton over Lathrope - must consider him a more 'complete' midfielder.

Looking forward to hearing some reports and ratings. The official report and the stats seem to suggest we nicked the win.[/quote]

Think my tongue was firmly in my cheek when I said that Jonnyfive, yep we had a shot on goal and 1-2 attempts.
Last edited by Dave on 24 Nov 2012, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Thanks for the post Andy, why wouldn't you be welcome, havn't seen Nick on here for a few days my hope as a site user is you will both be back posting soon, its a forum all views should be welcome everyone has the right to agree or dissagree, just keep it polite.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Yellowledbetter
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yellowledbetter »

Just got in, today's game was a classic smash and grab.

Not entertaining at all from the gulls but a showing of professionalism, hard work and guile.

Glad to see Lingy change the formation today but still we created little against a poor team in my opinion. We struggled to keep the ball but showed what we can do with it with a great second goal.

Don't want to sound too negative today, it was a good performance and gives us something to build on. I would love to see us play with some more width, Bodin for me was good along with Danny but we hardly got it to them (long boot to Rene). I would like to see Lingy say to the lads to go out and attack with confidence and retain/pass the ball because we are good enough and I can see we can do it.

Good support for the Gulls today in a rubbish ground, onwards and upwards!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

austrianandygull wrote: Don't know if i should be posting when i've been such a t*t but anyway.

Today was by no stretch entertainment but the lads went out there and gave a thoroughly professional performance all round and i couldn't fault one of them. We created little again but the key was the formation. We were able to offer more support more quickly and it was noticable that for both goals we had players available in the box to finish. Playing one up top would have been a massive error and i give Martin full credit for changing this. Thankyou and well done. York were a little disappointing but still had more than enough chances to have won the game. Great defending and Pokey making some superb saves kept them out. We kept it tight at the back and nicked the goals when the opportunities presented themselves. A perfect smash and grab. Again though, it was the availability of players in the final third that enabled us to create chances. Rene set the second one up superbly and Manse wasn't really missed.

I can post more later but all in all i am very, very pleased and i give Martin and the players full and deserved credit for this victory. Great to stand with the usual motley crew again and say hi to Bix again. Atmos was non existant with about 10 of us singing but we did our best. Hope i am welcome back on here and that Nick has forgiven my insults. :scarf:

harsh.......................but fair. :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

MH91
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by MH91 »

Brilliant result today. It would definitely boost the confidence of the squad before the must-win game against the daggers. By the way..did Halpin manage to touch the ball today?
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

A welcome 3 points today and a welcome return of 2 away goals, if i told you i was expecting that to happen before kick off then i'd have been telling porkies. Big fat ones only reserved for the highest in power. If i told you i was expecting us to defend for 90 minutes and have 1 shot then you'd have been closer to the mark. The reality wasn't a million miles from this as York created many chances, most from the edge of the area admittedly but Pokey still had his hands warmed on several occasions whilst we dug in admirably for periods of defensive pressure. Meanwhile we attacked sporadically but getting men forward purposefully in those attacks.

We began well pushing and probing and restricting York to very little as the hosts struggled to get a foothold in the game. The home crowd were silent all through the half and apart from a few of us hardy Gulls trying to create some atmosphere it was pretty dead and depressing. We took the lead on 10 minutes when a pass from Nico let in Stevens who finished expertly into the bottom corner. The surprising thing was the amount of bodies we had in and around the area for the attack and it certainly paid off. York gradually came into the game as the half wore on and tested Pokey on a few occasions without really threatening too much. We had a few pushes forward and won a corner or two but created nothing of note.

The half time seemed to take an eternity and their players were out well before ours, a statement of intent perhaps? They got at us from the off and the pressure built up. I honestly thought that this would be it now for the remainder of the half and we'd have to somehow hold out and maybe get a draw. Downes and Saah were immense at the back and Nico and Oastler also had better games than i have seen so far this season. The Minstermen continued to test Pokey with potshots and he was thwarting them in return. An appeal for a York penalty fell on deaf ears when one of their players was through on goal and one of our lads ( sorry couldn't quite see who it was ) slammed into him bringing him down in the area. I must admit it didn't look pretty and hearts were in mouths for a moment but the ref didn't give it. I'll need to see it on a replay.

Anyway, Torquay were having the odd breakaway with Bodin looking to trick their defenders and seconds after York had made a sub, we had an attack when the ball broke to Rene inside the penalty area and with superb close control he delayed slightly, all the while holding off their defender before playing a ball across the area which wiped out their keeper and defence and on the 6 yard box was Joey to steer home the second. Again it was the fact that we had players IN SUPPORT AND IN DANGEROUS AREAS that we were able to score. Brilliant from Rene. York pressed further and continued to pepper Poke with potshots but we knew it was to be our day. Not great to watch but a much improved performance to all the others i've seen this season and with a little more confidence and ball retention it could have been so much better. The formation change to 4-4-2 was critical to the win and if we had played Rene up on his own and dropped deeper then York would have eventually found a way through and there would have been no way back playing like that.

A good day at the office and immense credit to Lingy and the boys for sticking their necks out and giving it a go and although there is a lot of room for improvement it was a big step in the right direction. I think the win masks what was still a generally average performance and if we had drawn i might not have been so positive but at the end of the day, i begged Martin to play two up front and offer us more going forward and he did this so massive thumbs up and deserved praise for him and i'm sorry for calling him a knob earlier this week! :Oops:

It was good to once again meet up with the usual gang of Ben, Alex, Big Ben, Scottish Dom, Gaz and some others i still don't know the names of yet and good of Bix to say hello too. I took a mate with me too ( ok f*ck off! I HAVE got one! ) and he had a good day out too. The matchday programme was sh*te but i had the most bizarre incident i have ever had whilst going through turnstiles. It was £17 to get in and i gave the bloke a £20. He then gave me a tenner change and sort of winked and said 'go on in mate'! He let me off with £7! I did think he was after some bum fun in the gents at half time but he let my mate in for the same! Err, maybe he wanted a threesome! SH*T!! :O :Z I don't know if that happened to any of you? ( getting in for a tenner that is and not the threesome in the bogs with men ) :lol:

POKE 8 : Consistent, spilled a few shots but was confident, agile and made some great saves.

NICO 7 : Still nowhere near the Nico of old but put in a solid if unspectacular performance and set up the goal for Danny.

OASTLER 7: Getting his confidence back and somewhere near back to normal, solid and popped up in the box out of the blue for the second goal.

SAAH 9 : Not much got past him and he was immense once again.

DOWNES 8: Another solid partnership with Brian and one of the best headers of the ball i've seen.

EASTON 7 : Didn't notice him too much but did the simple thins well.

CRAIG 7: Some good play in the middle of the park and provided support for the forward players.

STEVENS 8: Started well, lively, got the goal and faded a little but worked hard for the team. Great finish for the first.

BODIN 7 : Worked hard and tried things which didn't come off but you could see he was knackered near the end. Didn't really have any chances or a huge impact on the game but his workrate has dramatically improved since the last time i saw him.

JARVIS 7 : Support for Rene up top, i thought he did well and he battled although he didn't have much of a sniff at goal.

HOWE 9 : Hold up play superb, great composure and awareness in setting up Oastler for the second. Needless booking though for dissent puts a downer on it.

Credit to all the fans there today too, not sure of the actual figures but it's close to Xmas and it was a rotten day weather wise to end the day and to be driving home in. So disappointed with the lack of atmosphere though.

All in all, a definate improvement, a cracking result and i'm so pleased for everyone tonight. I'm not falling into the trap that we can go and beat Daggers well by playing 4-4-2 next week though. Ling might decide to revert back and we could be discussing the same old failings again and go back to square one. I so hope that doesn't happen and we have a platform to build from now, we know we can beat a decent team in their own back yard playing 4-4-2 and with improvement it bodes well for future away games.

Just a word on Manse, we didn't really miss him today and for all his commitment and industry, we got through perfectly well in his absence. Maybe the time out will give him chance to have a breather , recharge and come back something a bit more like he was last season.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
DonnyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Halstead

Post by DonnyGull »

Gutted I missed the game today, went in opposite direction yesterday and in Devon for weekend to visit poorly Mum. Hope to boost the singers at Bradford in a couple weeks. Well done to Lingy and the team today. Never seen so much rain, been slinging it down all day. Hope car doesn't float away!!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Be good to see you at Braddy Tony, the weather will probably be the same though like it always is up there!
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Long day (5.30AM-12.30AM) but a really good one.

Was a textbook away performance from the boys and whilst we didn't exactly take the game to our Yorkshire counterparts we absorbed the pressure and then hit them on the break with two well crafted goals. We were under the cosh for large periods as the stats suggest but defended resolutely with Easton and Saah in particular in fine form and diving in the way of shots and crosses. York rarely threatened Poke in the first half, and when they started to get their shots away in the second, our custodian was equal to every one of them and remained a calming influence. The Poke i remembered from yesteryear.

I am sure a lot of fans will say 'I told you so' over the change of formation but for me playing Easton over Lathrope was a smart choice and not one which would have been supported by fans pre-kick off. I am not convinced that Damon has been completely match-fit of late whilst Easton looked much more comfortable in a flat four, he and Craig not only offered excellent protection to the back four but in quickly initiating counter attacks too. This is in no way an attack on Damon who has been central to our success for a long time now, however I can't help feeling he was rushed back from injury all too quickly, and with no reserve fixtures to hone his fitness, has struggled to assert his dominance in the middle of the park in quite the manner he did last season. If we persist with a 4-4-2 (and i fully believe we should) it now looks an area with a lot of depth to it.

A quick word for the often-maligned Nicholson too, much better, showing that form is temporary and class is permanent and fully justifying the manager's thought process of in-keeping with the players he has tried and trusted. In the absense of the captain you would want a long-standing serviant in the team as he understands what it means to be a Torquay United player, and I feel that rubs off on some of the other sometimes. A master of his position Kev offers so much going forward and I really hope this is the end of his sticky spell, he is a club legend.

With Bodin and Stevens offering excellent width we looked a threat on the break for one of the first times this season. Bodin is a strange player to analyse because whilst he is not offering much in way of end product, he constantly looks for the ball, puts the opposition defence on the back foot, frightens them even and more often than not takes 2 of the opposition defence out of the equation. I just hope that one of his turn and shots from distance comes off soon, as soon as he gets 1, even if it is fortuitous, he should go on a run. Pleased for Danny too, too often the victim of unwarranted abuse from our fans, the man knows his role in the team, always works hard and adds balance to the side, a really neat finish too. On course for another 10 goal haul this season, I would suggest.

Didn't see too much link up between Jarvis and Howe but both worked extremely hard. Crucially, the extra man up top occupied two or more of York's defence and allowed us to play our football higher up the field. Against Southend it was mortifying to see Howe a fully 50 yards higher up the field than the next nearest Yellow shirt, I think it was obvious that that set up couldn't continue so it was pleasing to see Howe not so isolated yesterday, this allowed him to play a crucial, and unselfish, role in the second goal, started and finished on the break by a lung-busting run from Oastler. Stood behind the goal, the anticipation of the ball being tapped in was greater than the ball actually being tapped in, intially I thought it was Jarvis who scored, I just couldn't believe Joe was standing 4 yards out. Full credit though to a player who never misses a chance to get forward and demonstrates the freedom and confidence he is allowed to play with. Collectors item though, and perhaps an 'I was there' moment.

So a good result, if not a free-flowing performance. Important to stop the rot and put an end to the blip (and it is a blip) we have found ourselves in. Says a lot about the character of the squad to pull out a professional performance and clean-sheet on the longest trip of the season in the face of some pretty fiercesome criticism from the stands and on the forums. Should set us up nicely to double our output next week against Dagenham too. There is not a lot wrong with our team, I still maintain we are a match for most sides in the league. Perhaps the switch in formation will be the catalyst for an improvement in terms of consistency and results - in the way that switching to 4-5-1 last season did so. With the absense of Eunan O'Kane, 4-5-1 no longer looks like the best formation to make the most out of the resources at hand.
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

How many Torquay fans were present yesterday?
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Over 200, not a bad number at all, all things considered. Liking the very thoughtfully erected PVC roofing over the gents khazis too, classy touch.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I reckon there were 201 there.