Pre-Match in Manchester

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Pre-Match in Manchester

Post by Regiment »

There seems to be a few threads at the moment containing comments regarding pre-match meeting etc at Old Trafford.

In order to keep things simple and organised (as is the TUFC way 8/) maybe we could keep everything here ??

It was mentioned earlier that we've been allocated the Samuel Platts pub, and another mentioned is the Tollgate.

I don't know the area, the only pub i've used pre-match up there is the Trafford, but I know a few MUFC supporters (from London - surprise surprise) who travel up there regularly, and the Samuel Platts is meant to be good, a big pub by the canal, and close to the ground.

There is also a Wetherspoons nearby, called the Bishops Blaize.

Obviously there is a lot of choice of bars at Salford Keys, the City Centre and near Piccadilly Station, but that's going further away from the ground.

Suggestions welcome.

Another point to consider is those of us driving up, and parking. In the past i've parked down the road at the cricket ground, but suggestions welcome on that too please.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

The Bishops Blaize has been designated a Stevenage pub for the day.

From what I've been told by a few Mancs, the Trafford is one of the best pubs around there, that would be my preferred choice.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
smithy86
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branno

Post by smithy86 »

The trafford is def the best pub, has a beer garden which the bishops blaize doesnt so lets hope its sunny!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

sigh, can someone amalgamate my original thread with this one please? did a bit of leg work setting up links and info and now hijacked!!

a lot of people may be coming by train, and not just into salford
still keeping the faith
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

there's a pre match meeting in my house at 9am Eastern if anybody interested. Plenty of space and a nice big TV. The only thing is, you might have to fight with a cat to get a space on the sofa.

-Chris
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

happytorq wrote:there's a pre match meeting in my house at 9am Eastern if anybody interested. Plenty of space and a nice big TV. The only thing is, you might have to fight with a cat to get a space on the sofa.

-Chris
I still feel it would be better organised seat allocation than that organised by TUFC
tommygull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by tommygull »

I believe that the Trafford is well located so that suits me. See you guys there is that is the plan.
:( Tommy :)
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Regiment »

bixieupnorth wrote:sigh, can someone amalgamate my original thread with this one please? did a bit of leg work setting up links and info and now hijacked!!

a lot of people may be coming by train, and not just into salford
sorry bixie. started thread due to bits and pieces all over the place, hadn't intended on stealing your thunder mate ;-)
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Regiment »

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 01,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this has just popped up on the OS, titled "Old Trafford Parking" but it doesn't really offer much Parking Advice. :|
Brady

I Wish I Was There
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

smithy86 wrote:The trafford is def the best pub, has a beer garden which the bishops blaize doesnt so lets hope its sunny!
Would one be able to purchase a light luncheon there? I fear that there is not enough time to arrange a hamper from Fortnam & Mason. :nod: :| :lol: :lol:
allez mons
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by allez mons »

Greetings - first posting on here.

I am originally from that neck of the woods so I can speak with (relative) authority on this. The best bet boozing-wise is either The Copthorne Hotel (open free house - welcoming to visitors and/or football fans) or Frankie & Bennies. 2 good bars with good ales at reasonable, northern prices. The ground is easy to find from these 2 bars - 10 minutes walk across the swing bridge on the way up the M62 - you obviously cannot miss OT in the distance. The Wetherspons is the Trafford and does what it says on the tin. You get what you pay for in any Wetherspoons, cheap and cheerful but can attract dodgy clientel. Personally, I would advise either of the other 2 - which are incidentally well known City fans haunts - not too close to the ground but still near enough to have an atmosphere.

Hope this helps. I can advise on others if required. My 2 mates have worked in Manch. City Centre for 20 years.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Are you sure the Trafford is a Wetherspoons?

I heard the Bishops Blaize was a Wetherspoons and the Stevenage fans were given that as a designated pub.

Now you've got me doubting the info I was given.
Dave

Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

regiment0609 wrote:http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 01,00.html

this has just popped up on the OS, titled "Old Trafford Parking" but it doesn't really offer much Parking Advice. :|
can anybody help on this, I wanna drive up and I have no idea where to park. My preference is as near to the ground as possible, but also wanna take in a pre match meet and a walk to the ground like we did at wembley, so parking maybe slightly pub dependant
allez mons
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by allez mons »

Dave,

My cock-up. The Blaize IS the Wetherspoons. I have heard from 3 City fans that the Trafford - a large stand alone pub - has recently closed.

Please note that these 2 are outside OT CRICKET Ground and NOT the football Stadium. Lancs CCC is 1-1.5 miles away. OT Cricket ground is also useful for parking as Lancs are re-developing OT and playing home games in Liverpool. You can actually park on the pitch.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Thought I was going mad :)

A friend of mine went to the Man Utd Youth Cup final today and called me from the Trafford by the ground and was going to try and speak to the Manager to clear the way for us to use it.
Dave