Torquay United v Yeovil Town - JPT Rnd 2 - 9/10/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Torquay United v Yeovil Town - JPT Rnd 2 - 9/10/12

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

The Gulls are back at Plainmoor for their first game in the much maligned Johnstone's Paint Trophy having received a bye in the first round. Their fellow West Country opponents are the Glovers of Yeovil Town who themselves showed great form in Round one by thrashing Bristol Rovers 3-0 at the Mem. Yeovil we know are in league 1 but in this competition league status goes out the window as clubs play weakened sides and also can approach these games with lethargy and disinterest. The men from Huish Park got back on track at the weekend after 6 straight league defeats with a 3-1 home beating of struggling Colchester United whilst the Gulls put in another predictable negative display in a disappointing 2-1 defeat at league 2 strugglers Wycombe Wanderers.

I'm not sure what kind of side Martin will put out for this one but so long as it is one which ensures defeat then i'll be happy. I'm not a fan of the competition and would rather us compete in the earlier rounds of the league and FA Cups and the league too. This competition is a complete waste of time in my honest opinion and can only be beneficial by us by playing the youngsters and giving them competetive match time and experience. I'm also not sure what kind of side Yeovil will play but i would imagine having arrested and alarming run of losses with a win at the weekend they would look to continue that and try to gain confidence by winning at Plainmoor.

I'm not going to go into detail about Yeovil and their players, form and line ups and stuff as the JPT isn't worthy. Their fans are to be seated in the bench as we have closed the away end and tickets are a tenner i believe.

Match ref is ANDY WOOLMER with the assistants being JUSTIN AMEY and PAUL REES and the fourth official is ADAM HOPKINS.

My advice to Martin is get the youngsters in, get Bodin in and get him motivated again, tinker with the formation, try something new and see what happens. If we lose 10-0 i'm not fussed. We need a cracker at home to Accy on saturday and 3 points, that's all that matters.

I'm going for a 3-1 Yeovil win and apologies to all for being so negative about the game but that's just the way i feel about it and i can't change. I wouldn't be a hypocrite and go to Wembley should we get there either.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

I think Ling said he will give others a chance in this one but the rules force him to play six players from the previous game. Which shows how poor a competition it is when they have to put a rule in for teams to play a decent team for it! I'd give the likes of Rice,McKenzie,Thompson,Yeoman,Leadbiter et al the game to prove themselfs.

I think we'll lose but I wont lose any sleep over that concentrate on the league.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by AlexGulls »

Just noticed this on Yeovil's website: http://www.ytfc.net/news/article/torqua ... 14761.aspx

We are only giving them the seating tommorow.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I'd have thought there'd be a couple of hundred? I always thought the '6 players' rule included the subs of previous game, but it doesn't. We can still put out a team like this though;

Poke (1)

Leadbitter
McKenzie
Downes (2)
Cruise

Lathrope
Mansell (3)
Craig (4)

Thompson
Howe (5)
Bodin (6)

EDIT: Having checked the OS, it looks like the above team could be similar to what is actually put out. Hope the lads are better for the weekend though.

I see Ling doesn't connect this sickness to the crap performance at Wycombe, but do we think there is some connection? Perhaps if Nicho was affected quite badly it'd go some way to explaining why Ainsworth rinsed him on numerous occasions?
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by AlexGulls »

Possibly. Hard to tell on one hand its local for them and not far to come. But it is the JPT and not many people care about it. Can see it being easily less than 2,000 there tommorow so not as if it will be hard to make space for them if they bring more than expected.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Fair does, Alex.

To be fair I'd be surprised if it's over 1300 tomorrow, to be totally honest. Still, hopefully go in the Bench for this one.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by AlexGulls »

NickGull wrote:Fair does, Alex.

To be fair I'd be surprised if it's over 1300 tomorrow, to be totally honest. Still, hopefully go in the Bench for this one.
Same. I think being close to 2,000 is being optimistic. Especially midweek and if the weathers rubbish it will put people off paying a tenner to see a game.
dazgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jean-Pierre Simb

Post by dazgull »

NickGull wrote:Fair does, Alex.

Thats about the right attendance and right that Yeovil are in the seats. There away support isnt that great and if they bring more than 150 I will be surprised. Our Aldershot home attendance only went over 2000 because of the offer on if it rains heavy then anything over 1000 will be good.

I will be going in the Bench for the first time myself.
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

I'l be surprised if its on at all with this weather, Torquay town is underwater! Although after last week, i suppose we could play through almost anything!
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

dazgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jean-Pierre Simb

Post by dazgull »

By the sound of it Oastler is certainly not well enough to play tonight and if Mansell and Nicholson both had the "bug" then rest them too. You can always have Mansell on the bench. Nicholson hasnt had the greatest start this season and if he does suddenly miss games we need someone to come in so I suspect we will have Cruise at left back and Leadbitter at right back. I suspect that if the two fullbacks hadnt got ill then McKenzie might have played but cant play all reserves in defence.

Hopefully Lathrope will be fit enough to come into Mansells spot. I would also give Jarvis a ninety minute run out and play Bodin too, maybe together. Howe can be on the bench if needed and wont do him any harm to have a rest after all the running he has done of late.

Poke
Cruise, Downes, Saah, Leadbitter
Stevens, Lathrope, Craig, Macklin
Bodin, Jarvis

Subs: Rice, McKenzie, Mansell, Howe, Thompson. (Not sure how many subs it is in this, probably five though)

Im going for a 1-1 draw and then straight to penalties.......
MH91
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by MH91 »

I think Yeoman also deserves a run-out tonight. Seems to have potential and can show it in a match with no big pressure like tonight's one. I'd go with Jarvo and Yeoman in attack.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I'd put Yeoman in there too MH91.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

NickGull wrote:
I see Ling doesn't connect this sickness to the crap performance at Wycombe, but do we think there is some connection? Perhaps if Nicho was affected quite badly it'd go some way to explaining why Ainsworth rinsed him on numerous occasions?
I really hope you are right. My father was saying that Nico's legs had gone, and as much as I railed against the unpalatable suggestion, old man Ainsworth was skinning him with alarming ease.

Nico is bit like Alex Russell for me, in that his eventual departure from TUFC will fill me with a great sadness. Players like Manse and Hilly are legends for their commitment, fitness and will to win; but in the same way Utd will never in my lifetime see a passer of Aggy's genius, neither surely will we see such a cultured left foot.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I hope I'm right too..