Ling and his comments - another clanger?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
y_e_l_l_o_w
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Downes

Ling and his comments - another clanger?

Post by y_e_l_l_o_w »

Hi All,

Initially I liked the openess of Ling and his ability to disclose publicly when a player had played poorly or made a decision that changed the game in favour of the opposition..... over time however this got a little repetitive and at times marginally offensive or over the top, he rarely throws critisism at players he signed himself but seems to be happy letting us all know on the club website and local paper that Oastler, Manse, Nicholson and so on have played poorly or not played well enough. For those of you chomping at the bit to reply and totally disagree this is merely my opinion, I also note he strangely makes predictions at odd times, I think he employs a strange psychology on the team for example with his top three prediction, best team in devon comment, and his constant outbursts at fans either in Bristows Bench or now on the Pop Side as clearly if you don't sing when we are losing then Ling does not appreciate you? I dont want a debate about whether fans should voice their negatives during a game or not, just making a point.

Is it just me or does anybody else agree that his PR skills are odd. I also note his comments about Davids at Barnet, I watched the game and his touches were class, Ling claimed that the ref favoured him? Or was it yet ANOTHER excuse for a ***p performance and tactical balls up?

Cheers,

Y_E_L_L_O_W
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

To be fair life as a professional football manager is often no win, your only as good as your last run of results hit a sticky patch and any relative succsess you have had is soon forgotten, hit a sticky patch and the manager is damned if he stays silent, damned if he speaks out.

I do agree to a point, there has been a couple of times this season where I have thought steady on Lingy your taking this honesty a little to far, a manager can say to much, on the flip side Martin Ling has allways maintained he has never said anything in public that he has not or would not say to a players face, so fair play I can respect that.

Yes I think he has made some mistakes like talking about a lack of talent in the squad and the biggest "PR" mistake of all saying we are Torquay we have no funds, for our club just to stay at level it is now it needs to attract new sponsorship and most important win new fans, we are not going to do this by talking down the clubs long term ambitions.

Think the board and manager should allways be talking about all the improvements made to date, keep the focus on improvements to come and talk about promotion League 1 being a long term aim.
Formerly known as forevertufc
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

apparently we have lots of options in central midfield without Manse. Dearie me.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

By all accounts, we shat all over Barnet and got mugged.

We do have lots of options... most of them are hopelessly ineffective, but the options are there =D

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Anyone got a parachute to slow our descent downwards?
y_e_l_l_o_w
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by y_e_l_l_o_w »

I just think that the vibe around Lingy at the start was premature, yes we over achieved but most managers are rated on consistency or over a period of say two/three seasons, in my own opinion, this season so far has been pretty poor, aside from Downes I am not sur ehe made great signings this year and then he goes and gets Angus on loan when Kirstys was immense against Vale?

Attacking the fans through the club website is poor, as a paying customer I have a right to air my frustrations but if every football manager told the fans what he thinks of them after every game then stadiums would be empty and lots of personal bodyguards employed!

Anyway, thank you for the replies, as I have always said, the jury remains out on Ling, I do not like his PR nor do I like the fact that almost every weekend the bloke can be found in Torquay Town centre lapping up the good life!! enough said!!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

yellowmonkey wrote:Anyone got a parachute to slow our descent downwards?
You've got Rotherham tomorrow, you're going down faster than we are.

Matt.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

y_e_l_l_o_w wrote: nor do I like the fact that almost every weekend the bloke can be found in Torquay Town centre lapping up the good life!! enough said!!
Not having a go at you, that kind of proves the point made in my first post, we have hit a bad run so the manager isn't allowed to be seen living his life like any other normal person, if he was to stay at home and keep his mouth shut I am sure someone else would be on here asking why Lingy would come out and face the public and tell what he is going to to put things right.

As a general point, I have said a number of times, I am finding this season as frustrating as everyone else, however still far to soon to be turning on Lingy lock stock and two smoking barrels, Crewe are a prime example of how the picture can change, I am pretty sure Lingy is trying to find the answers just as he did last season, and if he does we are not that far behind and then all of a sudden what he says in public no longer becomes a problem.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

This whole thing contradicts itself from line to line, it's a feat, really.
y_e_l_l_o_w wrote: most managers are rated on consistency or over a period of say two/three seasons
Followed immediately by
y_e_l_l_o_w wrote: this season so far has been pretty poor
y_e_l_l_o_w wrote: Attacking the fans through the club website is poor
As opposed to attacking the manager via a forum?
y_e_l_l_o_w wrote: as a paying customer I have a right to air my frustrations
As opposed to the manager, who is not allowed to air his?
y_e_l_l_o_w wrote: if every football manager told the fans what he thinks of them after every game then stadiums would be empty and lots of personal bodyguards employed
To protect the manager from all the fans who aren't there, presumably?
y_e_l_l_o_w wrote: Anyway, thank you for the replies, as I have always said, the jury remains out on Ling, I do not like his PR nor do I like the fact that almost every weekend the bloke can be found in Torquay Town centre lapping up the good life!! enough said!!
Yes, enough said indeed.

And just while we're about it, this "right" that people have apparently to air their views (shout abuse at the manager/players), it's all very odd that often, it is those who are banging on about their rights to say and do what they like who take offence at the things that some users of this forum say. You can't have it both ways, I'm afraid. Besides, having the right to do something doesn't necessarily make it the right thing to do. I'm pretty sure that pregnant women have the right to piss in a coppers hat (they don't, but let's pretend that the fallacy is true), but would you do it, just because you can?
Equally, rights are tempered with responsibilities. The right to moan when we're rubbish is tempered by the responsibility to cheer when we're brilliant, which is where a certain number of our membership fall down, because they only make an appearance to exercise their right to whinge without "suffering" the responsibility of contributing during happier times. For topical reference, this is precisely why prisoners should not be allowed to vote, nor to challenge their exclusion from voting under "human rights", they forfeited [some of] those rights when they delined to accept the responsibility to uphold the social contract and behave within the law.

Anyway, I fear I am veering off into unnecessary territory.

Matt.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

y_e_l_l_o_w wrote: nor do I like the fact that almost every weekend the bloke can be found in Torquay Town centre lapping up the good life!! enough said!!
Well **** me - let's hang the bloke for daring to have a life outside of work.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

More words of wisdom from the special one that is ferrarilover. Well he thinks he is anyway ! :lol: :lol:
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Dutchgull wrote:More words of wisdom from the special one that is ferrarilover. Well he thinks he is anyway ! :lol: :lol:
But he's entirely correct!
y_e_l_l_o_w
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by y_e_l_l_o_w »

Yes, enough said indeed.

And just while we're about it, this "right" that people have apparently to air their views (shout abuse at the manager/players), it's all very odd that often, it is those who are banging on about their rights to say and do what they like who take offence at the things that some users of this forum say. You can't have it both ways, I'm afraid. Besides, having the right to do something doesn't necessarily make it the right thing to do. I'm pretty sure that pregnant women have the right to piss in a coppers hat (they don't, but let's pretend that the fallacy is true), but would you do it, just because you can?
Equally, rights are tempered with responsibilities. The right to moan when we're rubbish is tempered by the responsibility to cheer when we're brilliant, which is where a certain number of our membership fall down, because they only make an appearance to exercise their right to whinge without "suffering" the responsibility of contributing during happier times. For topical reference, this is precisely why prisoners should not be allowed to vote, nor to challenge their exclusion from voting under "human rights", they forfeited [some of] those rights when they delined to accept the responsibility to uphold the social contract and behave within the law.

Anyway, I fear I am veering off into unnecessary territory.

Matt The n00b.

IN RESPONSE TO THIS INTERESTING POST, AND AS WE HAVE DIGRESSED, I THINK YOU NEED TO EXAMINE THE WORD SOCIAL AND ALSO THE FACT THAT NONE OF US SIGNED A CONTRACT TO BE PART OF SOCIETY, WITH RESPECT TO PRISONERS HAVING THE RIGHT TO VOTE, I DISAGREE AND HAVE A GREAT ARGUMENT FOR THIS THAT WOULD BE PRESENTED BETTER TO YOU IN PERSON, A GREAT SHAME WE WOULD NEVER MEET BUT THEN THAT IS PROBABLY A GOOD THING, NOW RETURN TO YOUR ARM CHAIR AND SPEND THE NEXT FEW HOURS REPLYING TO EVERY THREAD IN A CONTRADICTORY FASHION THAT FOLLOWS MOST OF YOUR POSTS. GOOD LUCK TODAY TORQUAY
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Why are you shouting?

Matt.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

y_e_l_l_o_w wrote:Anyway, thank you for the replies, as I have always said, the jury remains out on Ling, I do not like his PR nor do I like the fact that almost every weekend the bloke can be found in Torquay Town centre lapping up the good life!! enough said!!
I have to say that this comment is particularly nasty. Free speech, say what you like, but I defend my right to tell you that this is one of the nastier comments that I have seen on this forum recently. I am appalled, really. Criticise his tactics, his PR, his ability to manage the team if you like (and I for one will argue against you, but defend your right to say it), but please lay off vicious personal criticism like this, it says more about you than you can imagine.