What was it i said? "Lack of attacking options"?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
TorquayBoy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rene Howe

What was it i said? "Lack of attacking options"?

Post by TorquayBoy »

Much earlier in the season I felt that we lacked upfront, and many disagreed. But now, wouldn't you say I was right? We lack upfront! What are you're views? Not saying i'm superior or godlike or anything, but to me, it seems right:)
TF12Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Niall Thompson

Post by TF12Gull »

Have to agree no offence to yeoman but if he's starting up front were short up front, however saying that first half I personally though he was best player on pitch, we need someone to partner Howe like a benyon sort of player feeds of scraps.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

For the second time...

You have turned out to be partially correct, but you weren't at the time.
There's no way you could have foreseen that Bodin would be a seventy grand flop. He should have a dozen goals already, a dozen goals which would see us firmly ensconced in the playoffs.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Yeoman, he looked every inch the first teamer today. Powerful, direct, unlucky not to score a couple, and that was in a team playing as badly as they did today.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
dazgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jean-Pierre Simb

Post by dazgull »

One main reason we cant attack properly is that we are playing one of our best players out of position!! Nathan Craig has been wasted of late out wide and Easton gone in the middle. Today when the subs came on it should have been Easton off and Craig in the middle. At the end of the game we had lathrope/Mansell/Craig which has been our most successful in results, around playoffs with them in it (i believe Craig won our player of the month playing there then). Lathrope holding role leavin Mansell to go forward as much as he likes and Craig to pass the ball. Easton works hard but gives the ball away too much.

I know that Bodin and Thompson have missed games so someone has had to play there but surely not Craig? We wouldnt put Howe in midfield or Poke at right back? So put Craig back in the middle where he is best or we will continue to have no threat from the wings at all as Stevens cuts in 95% of the time and seems allergic to the byeline.

Early on today a couple of times we had attacks where both Oastler/Nicholson further forward than our wide midfielders. Hopefully Thompson is back to fitness and we can get him attacking the defenders, apart from maybe Leadbitter on the bench he is the only one with pace in our squad. Thompson was the sort of player our game at Plymouth was crying out for in the second half. Howe is already doing a lot of extra work outside the box.

Mr Ling get Craig in his best position please.....
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

ferrarilover wrote:For the second time...

You have turned out to be partially correct, but you weren't at the time.
There's no way you could have foreseen that Bodin would be a seventy grand flop. He should have a dozen goals already, a dozen goals which would see us firmly ensconced in the playoffs.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Yeoman, he looked every inch the first teamer today. Powerful, direct, unlucky not to score a couple, and that was in a team playing as badly as they did today.

Matt.
:goodpost:

Can't disagree with any of that.

When we signed Bodin in the summer we assumed we were getting the same Bodin that played here on loan earlier in the season. But it appears as though his much-maligned twin brother (who lays bricks by trade) also fancied a crack at a football career. The point it no one could have predicted his terrific slump in form.

Staying optimistic, I think we'd all agree we haven't fired much at all this season and yet we are still in toughing distance of the play-offs, which is realistically all we can hope for. Sure, some seasons here and there we might flirt more convincingly with the automatic spots but our team is in transition at the moment and Ling has to be given time to create a team he thinks can get promoted.

Nathan Craig could very well be the next Eunan but he has to be afforded the same 'development spell' that O'Kane had when he first arrived. EOK started mainly on the bench and made fleeting bench appearances in wide positions before progressing to start in wide positions. Then he was gradually afforded more central roles and developed into the player we all grew to love. O'Kane wasn't perfect when he first went in CM but he developed just as I think the rest of our team will as they start to play more together.

Have we been playing badly? Yes.

Am I worried about it? No.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

With regard to BB there were two separate danger signs from TUFC history. And they recur time after time.

1 A good loan spell followed by a contract.

2 The selling club is Swindon Town.

On a wider note it was the Summer spinal surgery that has weakened us. Another lesson from history – how many clubs that spent money on new stadia/stands followed it up with a weakened team leading to disappointing performances and in the worst cases relegation?

Chelsea were the first in my memory, but by no means the last.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

My main concern is not that we can't afford to bring people in, but more that we have 16 players out of contract in the summer. I'm sure that the club are doing their best behind the scenes to hammer out new deals, but if any of the players decide not to stay, then I don't know if we can really afford to give up the small amount of money to be gained by selling them in this window. I still think that the lads here have got far more to show us than they already have this season, but if anyone decides that they want to leave, a mediocre season could turn pretty sour.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

We have enough cover without injuries (just) so at the start of the season we did have enough but now we have no choice but to bring someone in.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

I would think that M L will give Yeoman an extended run in the team after the very creditable performance against Wimbledon, at least until Jarvis is fit again. I would also expect Halpin & Thompson to be given an opportunity to show if they are up to L2 football. We will also have Macklin & Morris to think about when they fit again. I don't think that we will be better than mid table this year, could be that the board are more interested in finishing the new training facilities than spending more on the playing staff this season. Given that we are not getting good ticket sales at the moment, & have not made any "cup money", I would not be surprised if M L has been tasked to manage with what he has got, & concentrate on bringing on the younger players for next season.