Contracts?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Out of contract players.

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I've just had a look at our out of contract players from the Summer Overview thread we had at the start of the season, and it seems that all but six players are out of contract.

Nicho, Mansell, Lathrope, Bodin, Poke and Craig are all contracted for another year, but the rest are free to leave. The question is, who would you want to keep on? Which players would you want to see offered deals?

For me, I'd offer new deals to;

Oastler, Howe, Saah, Downes, Cruise and Yeoman.

Perhaps Leadbitter, Macklin, Niall and Morris, but as far as I'm aware I don't think I'd be too unhappy if the rest left.

I fancy this to create a bit of discussion, so knock yourselves out!
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

brucie would release all on a free because Torquay are shyte
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I thought Niall and Kirtys had 2 year deals?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Good post Nick. I can't argue with your selections mate they would be the same as mine but i'd keep Easton if he is out of contract as i think he has got something to offer us. I take it Stevens is out of contract and as he is missing from your list you would be happy to see him leave? If that is the case then i agree with that too! I possibly would keep Jarvis depending on if we bring any more attackers in ( which we should i would hope ) but if we get a few in i'd let him go as he doesn't suit our style IMO.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Richinns wrote:I thought Niall and Kirtys had 2 year deals?
I reckon so too. Pretty sure Lingy said at the time that it was only fair to give them both 2 year deals so as to give them a fair chance of making the grade ... In much the same way as he has more recently done with Sullivan.

By my reckoning we have 10 pros under contract beyond the summer( now that we include Sullivan and Hutchings) with as many as 14 out of contract. Out of those, you would assume that Saah, Downes and Howe will all be offered new deals given the consistency of their performances all season, whether they choose to sign them is another matter of course as they are all free agents, thus leaving question marks over the remaining 12 members of the current squad.

Of those that are left, I reckon the guys who play in the wide areas are most under threat as in all honesty none have performed consistently well this season, although some have suffered from injuries which haven't helped the cause. It is an area where we are really top heavy, but despite this, you could argue that it has been our most problematical.

With Bodin and Craig (if indeed Lingy still sees him as a wide player) both under contract next season that leaves Morris, Macklin, Stevens, Halpin and Baker out of contract and some of those will surely have to be shown the door to make way for new recruits. I also think we will see some movement in the full back areas as neither Leadbitter or Cruise have managed to establish themselves and although Oaster has, he has nevertheless been found wanting on more than a few occasions ( often costing us crucial goals in the process).

With the possible emergence of young Connor Thompson ( youth keeper) you also have to wonder whether Ricey will be offered another new deal?

As for the rest, in the middle of the park Easton might struggle to get a new deal with Manse, Lathrope and Craig already under contract for next season and Lingy may feel the need for a bit more creativity which could see him face the axe.

Up front, I think Jarvis has improved steadily and Yeoman hasn't let us down when called upon, albeit not very often it must be said.

The frustrating thing for me about our performances this season is that, by and large, the spine of the team is fine, with the likes of Poke, Saah, Downes, Manse (after admittedly a poor start to the season I thought) and Howe consistently being our stand out performers, but all too often they have been let down by the rest of the side, particularly the "wide" players (even Nico has been well short of his best at times this season - but I'll forgive him for that!) both defensively and offensively. We have the makings of a decent L2 side but having 5 or 6 perform week in week out, while the others only do occasionally, is never going to be good enough to challenge at the top end of the table. This summer, provided we stay up, represents an opportunity to have a good clear out and I reckon quite a few of the 14 out of contract might need to be looking for alternative employment come then, but it all depends how ruthless Lingy is and whether or not some of the squad can find the consistency of performance that is needed between now and then,
Last edited by CP Gull on 17 Jan 2013, 20:55, edited 3 times in total.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Watched Conor play on Tuesday he's nowhere near ready to be in the first team squad.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

royalgull wrote:Watched Conor play on Tuesday he's nowhere near ready to be in the first team squad.
Fair enough, I must admit I haven't seen him in action at all yet and didn't even know he had gone out on loan (to Taunton Town) until I read it in the Herald today! I see they lost 3-0 at Didcot, seems he made a couple of decent saves, according to reports but was "sold short" with a back pass from Alex Jeannin (isn't he part of our youth set up now?) for their 1st goal and a second quickly followed, with their third goal coming from a penalty it seems. Anyway, they (Taunton) must rate him a bit as it seems they want to extend his loan. One for the future, hopefully, but as you say may not be quite ready yet.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Howe, Saah, Downes should certainly stay but I cn see us losing Howe and possibly Downes. Saah probably slips under the radar a bit more but I would be sorry to lose him as well.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

hector wrote:Howe, Saah, Downes should certainly stay but I cn see us losing Howe and possibly Downes. Saah probably slips under the radar a bit more but I would be sorry to lose him as well.

I know we lost three key players last season in Olejnik, Ellis and O'Kane which Martin replaced as best he could but should we lose the three mentioned above then Lingy really HAS to pull the most magical rabbits out of the most ordinary of hats come next season. :-/
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

Saah would not leave lingy, Martin has been good to Brian and has been with him since a young age. He will without doubt return the loyalty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

supergulls wrote:Saah would not leave lingy, Martin has been good to Brian and has been with him since a young age. He will without doubt return the loyalty.
There was a point when i'd have genuinely believed that but there isn't any loyalty in football anymore. If Brian gets a better offer he'll be on his way.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

I know Brian personally and very well Austrian and I know for a fact that unless a championship side came in with an offer he couldn't refuse then he would leave with martins blessing as he would never stand in hes way. But if he is offered another contract by lingy he will sign. Martin has said he is one of the best pros he has ever worked with. And I know that as long as Martin has a job so does Brian. He gave him he's first pro at orient, followed by a contract at Cambridge when he was in the wilderness, then he brought him here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Stating the obvious I know but there really is nothing guaranteed in football there is no such word as "never" Just because this season has not so far worked out how any of us thought or hoped does not just mean that our star performers will up and leave, nor is there any guarantee they will stay of course, they have to be offered contracts with other clubs first.

Totaly agree on Brian Saah, been with Lingy a long time now and unless the offer of a lifetime comes along Saah will be going nowhere, it is likely Downes was offered 1 year due to well documented injury concerns, he has more than proved his fitness and must be in line for POTS, he seems to have settled in well and I can see him being here next term, Rene Howe would likely look over his career to date, he, also for the first time in a long time in his career has found a club where he is happy and settled think it would take some offer for him to move on from us.

Argee with CPGull just reading between the lines, I have had a feeling for a while now in the summer we may see a clear out, my opinion is the squad is not balanced I look at Stevens, Morris and Bodin and see three players who offer the same thing nothing different, backed up by the likes of young Saul Halpin who again is the same type of player and yes Stevens is quick but no real genuine pace amongst the four of them. The only genuine pace we have is Thompson to raw not quite ready, and Macklin well documented problems followed by injury needs a good run in side between now and the seasons end to really prove himself.

Also agree with CP on the goalkeeping front, we started the season with Poke, Rice and two youth team keepers Ibbettson and Shulberg, unless one or both those youth team keepers have already left the club the arrival of Connor Thompson means we have 5 keepers on the books. There clearly is going to be shake up there, one of Rice or Ibbettson looks likely to be on the way out.

Of course this is all immaterial if the club is relegated it would change the pivture completely, I happen to think we will be ok the fact of the matter is we dont yet have 50pts and untill we do no one can bury there heads in the sand. Martin Ling has said today " there is a little bit of money and that needs to be spent on the right player" spot on really, the budget as we all know is limited, to get the right balance and a bit more genuine pace out wide and a creator in the middle then 1-2 current players will need to be released moved on to make room, it might even mean letting some one go that does not deserve it or lIngy really wants to keep, however thats football.
Formerly known as forevertufc
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

supergulls wrote:I know Brian personally and very well Austrian and I know for a fact that unless a championship side came in with an offer he couldn't refuse then he would leave with martins blessing as he would never stand in hes way. But if he is offered another contract by lingy he will sign. Martin has said he is one of the best pros he has ever worked with. And I know that as long as Martin has a job so does Brian. He gave him he's first pro at orient, followed by a contract at Cambridge when he was in the wilderness, then he brought him here.
I didn't know that supergulls, it's heartening to know that Brian is a loyal man not only for the sake of football but for the sake of TUFC as we need him here! There aren't many like him if he is like you say. :scarf:

Forgive me my scepticism and i hope he will stay with us for a long time to come. :-D
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

CP Gull wrote:(even Nico has been well short of his best at times this season - but I'll forgive him for that!)
Why? I don't think Nico or Mansell have delivered at all this season but there seems to be a silence when this happens because..........well, because it's Manse and Nico.....Nico and Manse......

We played better when Mansell was suspended. That's my opinion but I think it does a player good to get dropped if they don't play well. You don't want players thinking they're too big to be dropped for somebody young and hungry.

Despite these comments, I like both players, I just don't think we should forgive bad performances when they become the norm and sadly this season both have been off the boil too often.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.