Ian Morris

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Magpiegull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Ian Morris

Post by Magpiegull »

Ian Morris has joined Northampton on two year deal Didn't see that one coming! Yet another player to be replaced.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Do we get any money? Sure he was in contract?
exiledgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jarvis

Post by exiledgull »

I think that's a good move for us. We now have a bit more spending money to attract players. I would rather Knill have more scope in terms of financing.

We seem to be getting linked to some players, maybe having him of the budget can allow us to bring in some trialists etc
Magpiegull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Magpiegull »

I believe that he was only offered a six month contract which he had yet to sign so will be, effectively, out of contract with effect from
30 June.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Kernowgull wrote:Do we get any money? Sure he was in contract?
He had six months left to run.

http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 81081.aspx

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

More on this here:
http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport ... -1-5224691

And there was us hoping for 'additions' this week!!!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
exiledgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jarvis

Post by exiledgull »

I wish Morris all the best but I wouldn't really want to Keep him. Would he play in our team? AK already said he wants a winger and a centre mid so that rules him even further down the list.

Good move for all parties.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Fantastic move for the player, particularly after missing most of last season through injury. In all honesty, I personally did not see Ian Morris being an Alan Knill " type" of player and where he would fit in with the way he plays and that there was every chance he would have been released in the New Year anyway. That said, I am quite surprised that he is a Bothroyd type of player either and to get a two year deal on (probably) a bit more money is a no brainer for Ian Morris!

What was a pretty substantial rebuild of the squad, when we released those SEVEN players is now a major overhaul given that we are now losing ELEVEN of the squad. Whereas we were looking at five or six new recruits, surely we are now up to eight or nine needed now.
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

New player for the Norway Gulls to sponsor then. Wonder who will get shirt nr 11 this season :)

-Eirik-
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Strangest move I have ever seen. Morris was given a sixth month extension on his contract when he was out injured. I don't reckon for one minute Knill would have kept him but for that.
Boothroyd may think he can play in loads of postions but really he isn't a central midfield player. He doesn't have the legs - he wasn't up to it when tried there at the start of last season.
He has no pace either which makes him ineffective as a winger.
Think its a great move for us as well as him as it gets him off the wage bill. Perhaps Northampton will take Nathan Craig as well!
northyorkshiregull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: benyon

Post by northyorkshiregull »

Have to agree with the above. Strange one which never saw coming and can't say is much of a lose
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Presumably we got a fee for him? What with him being under contract. I believe that is how it normally works... What am I saying, I expect we waived a fee in order to keep things nice and simple for Northampton.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Who says football agents don't do anything for their money? Two years? Lordy lord!
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Very very odd. For a team who will be one of the favorites to go up, it's strange to see them sign an in contract player who has failed to impress for us. Furthermore, there is the risk that he hasn't fully recovered from the injury that put him out for almost the whole season. Not too much of a loss I suppose, as he's not the sort of player that will fit into an Alan Knill 'team', and will likely have been in the top third in the squad in terms of wages. As CP pointed out though, he's yet another player that needs replacing, AK is going to have to pull a couple of really good signings out the bag this season.

Either way, good luck Ian.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

CP Gull wrote:Fantastic move for the player, particularly after missing most of last season through injury. In all honesty, I personally did not see Ian Morris being an Alan Knill " type" of player and where he would fit in with the way he plays and that there was every chance he would have been released in the New Year anyway. That said, I am quite surprised that he is a Bothroyd type of player either and to get a two year deal on (probably) a bit more money is a no brainer for Ian Morris!

What was a pretty substantial rebuild of the squad, when we released those SEVEN players is now a major overhaul given that we are now losing ELEVEN of the squad. Whereas we were looking at five or six new recruits, surely we are now up to eight or nine needed now.
If asked, I would express the opinion that Boothroyd is a far better judge than Knill, the present policy seems to be to get rid of ( or fail to keep ) all the young players. I suppose we have to believe that we are going to sign some quality players to replace them, & not a load of slow, old Northern lags who just want a few more pay days.
Last edited by wodger of awabia on 26 Jun 2013, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.