Return of Ling - Radio Devon interview

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Return of Ling - Radio Devon interview

Post by hector »

Martin Ling was apparently asked whether he would be interested in the Torquay job should it become available on Radio Devon today. He supposedly replied something along the lines that he would be interested as he has unfinished business at Plainmoor. That surprised me, after the way he was treated.

I suppose reinstating Ling would mean the club wouldn't be paying two ex-managers.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

After the way he was treated. please enlighten us, what way was he treated, do you know the facts, or are you just guessing. Personally wouldn't read to much into this.
Formerly known as forevertufc
rooster
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Bodin

Post by rooster »

Im guessing he means that Ling was sacked whilst he was ill and not given opportunity to come back and put things right.......
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Was he ? Employment laws? Really ? That's the point, people keep banging on about bad treated he was, Hector no more knows than I do, you do or anyone else what happened with Martin Ling, we don't even know if he was actually Ill do we ?
rooster
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by rooster »

Well it was well documented he was ill and that Knill was brought in to hold the fort in his absence, and then as they say the rest is history......
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

hector wrote:Martin Ling was apparently asked whether he would be interested in the Torquay job should it become available on Radio Devon today. He supposedly replied something along the lines that he would be interested as he has unfinished business at Plainmoor. That surprised me, after the way he was treated.

I suppose reinstating Ling would mean the club wouldn't be paying two ex-managers.
It was on Saturday before the Acc game that he was on. Tonight must have been that recording. He said that he has never been asked the question as someone has the job but if he were, he would consider it as he feels he has unfinished business. He thinks he was doing a decent job and would like to have seen it through. He also said it wouldn't be that much of a problem going back as it was only (he thinks) one person who had a problem with him. I may be wrong here but if memory serves, he suggested that it was mainly Bill Phillips he dealt with and I'm guessing thats who he was talking about. Obviously I dont know that for a fact and its about as far from gospel as one can get.
Bobbytanz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by Bobbytanz »

A Realist wrote:It was on Saturday before the Acc game that he was on. Tonight must have been that recording. He said that he has never been asked the question as someone has the job but if he were, he would consider it as he feels he has unfinished business. He thinks he was doing a decent job and would like to have seen it through. He also said it wouldn't be that much of a problem going back as it was only (he thinks) one person who had a problem with him. I may be wrong here but if memory serves, he suggested that it was mainly Bill Phillips he dealt with and I'm guessing thats who he was talking about. Obviously I dont know that for a fact and its about as far from gospel as one can get.
Ling has an issue with Mr Phillips ?? is that the suggestion ??? you are talking of the man who swans around the club, like he owns it and to the best of my knowledge has invested diddly squat !!! Mr Ling is not the only one with an issue !!
sam_
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Angus MacDonald

Post by sam_ »

Everyone had a go at me for suggesting this a while ago. Yet look now, You're going with it.
We'll be back...
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

rooster wrote:Well it was well documented he was ill and that Knill was brought in to hold the fort in his absence, and then as they say the rest is history......
Not wishing to turn this into an argument with you. I was merely making a point, that as none of us know the facts behind his dismissal from the club, so we can't imply 100% fact that ML was unfairly, harshly treated by the club, because we don't know that was the case. And just to make it clear for one and all, I am in no doubt that ML was ill and couldn't work.
rooster
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by rooster »

Well if it puts your mind at rest, I have known Lingy since he was here at the start with Exeter City and can confirm that he was ill and that there is no mystery surrounding it simple as that.......
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Personally my mind didn't need putting at rest, thanks for your response anyway, you're clearly are a friend of Lingy's, maybe even the person he stayed with during his time here, so you're bound to want to defend ML, so best left at that.
rooster
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by rooster »

Thats fine, whether he should come back is a different matter.........not looking to argue but just speaking up as a friend, nothing sinister but thanks for being reasonable.....its not always the case lol
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

rooster wrote:Thats fine, whether he should come back is a different matter.........not looking to argue but just speaking up as a friend, nothing sinister but thanks for being reasonable.....its not always the case lol
No problem.. :)
tufcgiants
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by tufcgiants »

rooster wrote:Im guessing he means that Ling was sacked whilst he was ill and not given opportunity to come back and put things right.......
That's pretty much the case, and now we are stuck with Knill.

I met Ling on many occasions, great guy and clearly very caring about the club.

Really wish we still had him to take us forward.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Given the circumstances, I always thought the club's sacking of Martin Ling was harsh, but we are where we are, and we must give Alan Knill and the team our full support in the hope of climbing the table or at least achieving another great escape at the end of the season. But if Knill does depart, I would certainly welcome Ling back..