If only we had a keeper like Argyle's

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tufcgiants
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

If only we had a keeper like Argyle's

Post by tufcgiants »

Now before people jump on the morality train, I'm not saying I want McCormick.

BUT we should be taking serious lessons, we never looked threatening from crosses because McCormick is incredible in the air, and I couldn't see a way past him once we scored, he was on fire, making some incredible saves.

I think in recent games we've really got away with balls in to our box, somehow.

McCormick is clearly the best keeper in the league, he must be one of the reasons Argyle are 8 unbeaten.
Bobbytanz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by Bobbytanz »

A fine keeper and did make a difference last night .... alas ............

If only Ricey was that confident at taking crosses !!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Not sure there is a lesson to learn here giants, we had Bobby.O we're a very small club with little or no money, the moment a bigger club came knocking our club had no choice but to sell him on. McCormick was, and no doubt still would be a Championship keeper if wasn't for his documented off-field problems, his spell in jail is the only reason he is playing in league 2, plymouth took a punt on signing him and it's paying off for them. I doubt there is any club further up the football ladder who will take the same risk.

On the subject of Jake Cole, he is a keeper I've always admired, so yes please.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tufcgiants
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by tufcgiants »

forevertufc wrote:Not sure there is a lesson to learn here giants, we had Bobby.O we're a very small club with little or no money, the moment a bigger club came knocking our club had no choice but to sell him on. McCormick was, and no doubt still would be a Championship keeper if wasn't for his documented off-field problems, his spell in jail is the only reason he is playing in league 2, plymouth took a punt on signing him and it's paying off for them. I doubt there is any club further up the football ladder who will take the same risk.

On the subject of Jake Cole, he is a keeper I've always admired, so yes please.
Not so much a lesson for the club, a lesson for Rice.

Jake Cole is also a good keeper, and could be a possible target.

Plymouth are very blessed to have a fine first choice keeper, and a very good back up keeper as well.
sam_
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Angus MacDonald

Post by sam_ »

Keepers are a funny thing, you get good and bad, a lot of time through 'luck'. No one excpected Bobby Olejnic to be so good, Marriot, Bevan.
We'll be back...
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes I see where your coming from giants, however Ricey is a small keeper, it may well be the case that AK/KV have asked him stick on his line for crosses and let the defenders deal with high balls in, some managers prefer that tactic.
sam_
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Angus MacDonald

Post by sam_ »

forevertufc wrote:Yes I see where your coming from giants, however Ricey is a small keeper, it may well be the case that AK/KV have asked him stick on his line for crosses and let the defenders deal with high balls in, some managers prefer that tactic.
I think it's ok with Rice, Pearce and Downes. Both very good in the air
We'll be back...
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

sam_ wrote:Keepers are a funny thing, you get good and bad, a lot of time through 'luck'. No one excpected Bobby Olejnic to be so good, Marriot, Bevan.
A bit harsh on the scout and managers that sign them!
I think most of us had an idea that BobbyO was going to be pretty darn good, given his pedigree on joining us. In fact, a lot of us, myself included were surprised to see a keeper with such a good pedigree agreeing to move to Torquay. That signing was something special that Ling did that no other manager in recent times has achieved for us.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
tufcgiants
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by tufcgiants »

Not saying we need to sign a keeper of McCormick's quality, saying Rice needs to learn lessons from a fine performance.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

tufcgiants joined today, has made 10 posts and in every one has had something positive to say with regards to something or someone connected to Plymouth.............
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Ha, ha, maybe you have uncovered a cheeky little troll there Ian, maybe he wants to talk about the two quality saves Ricey made, not bad for a supposed non-league keeper.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

forevertufc wrote:Ha, ha, maybe you have uncovered a cheeky little troll there Ian, maybe he wants to talk about the two quality saves Ricey made, not bad for a supposed non-league keeper.
Rice was western league standard and would never play 20 games on the spin anyway. apparently.

it's 21 now by the way.
tufcgiants
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by tufcgiants »

forevertufc wrote:Ha, ha, maybe you have uncovered a cheeky little troll there Ian, maybe he wants to talk about the two quality saves Ricey made, not bad for a supposed non-league keeper.

Troll :S

Rice made 1 excellent save from a free kick, not sure which other one your talking about though?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Look at Royalgull's post think he is suggesting you might be a Plymouth fan, if my memory serves me right, not long after saving the free-kick, he turned another over the cross bar that was going in.
tufcgiants
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by tufcgiants »

Happy to meet with any of you at the Southend home game to prove I'm not a Plymouth fan :}

Can't remember that one, but the one from the free kick was decent, but the main point of my topic, I just wish he had the confidence McCormick has.