Lathrope to Aldershot?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Lathrope to Aldershot?

Post by nickbrod »

According to HE Lathrope is in talks with Aldershot and is expected to sign, joining Joe Oastler.
Although I thought Damon was a useful player I'm all for as much of a clearout as possible to let CH build his own squad.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Shame. Would be close to the best defensive midfielder in the division. Steady, no frills, accurate passer, endless running, precisely the type of 'worker-bee' that allows the more expressive players to do their thing uninhibited.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Not very bothered he has gone to be honest.

Never forgave him for whimping out of a challenge against Stevenage allowing the guy to shoot and score the only goal of the play off final.

I look forward to seeing who CH has / is going to up to play alongside Young.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Harding and Young would be creative but lack a physical edge. This is even more true with DL missing (if, indeed, he is).

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

It depends on how badly we want to keep him. With Poke and Mansell you got the impression that their wages were too high for our current situation, so we offered them a much lower rate and it was basically win-win for us, either we got them off the wage bill or we signed them up at a lower wage.

Lathrope is much younger, not one of the higher earners and a first team player. If we lost him to Aldershot, another Conference side with recent money troubles and no bigger than us, it would be very disappointing, assuming that we do want him to stay.

Still a surprising club for him to go to anyway. I would like him to stay with us, but I think he could do better than Aldershot.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

This one surprises me some what, not that Lathrope is thinking of moving on, but cant see how Aldershot are in a sound financial position to able to offer DL any more than our club can, if he goes shame, think he will be very useful at conference level.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Agreed Matt. We need a tigerish player who gets his foot in and plays it simple to the more creative members of the team. This is not at the club at the moment.
TUST member 328
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Shame if true. When we signed Young, a visiting Argyle fan said "don't play him in a midfield two, he's best in front of two defensive midfielders". So I was hoping for a Harding/Lathrope/Young midfield, feeding Cameron and Briscoe on the wings (and someone better than Hawley, Benyon up front).

After a tricky start at the club I thought Lathrope ended up being a very good player for us. Couldn't score for toffee but broke up a lot of play in the middle.

Perhaps CH has someone else in mind?
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

ferrarilover wrote:Shame. Would be close to the best defensive midfielder in the division. Steady, no frills, accurate passer, endless running, precisely the type of 'worker-bee' that allows the more expressive players to do their thing uninhibited.

Matt.
Spot on.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Rjc70 wrote: Spot on.
Really?

I always rated him as decidely 'average' truth be told.
TUST member 328
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

ferrarilover wrote:Shame. Would be close to the best defensive midfielder in the division. Steady, no frills, accurate passer, endless running, precisely the type of 'worker-bee' that allows the more expressive players to do their thing uninhibited.

Matt.
This. Damon Lathrope is one of the most important players in the squad and would, I imagine, be very hard to replace.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

PhilGull wrote: This. Damon Lathrope is one of the most important players in the squad and would, I imagine, be very hard to replace.

So good we offered him next to nothing and the best other option he has is Aldershot!

I trust CH's judgement on this and if he did not offer him much then he has a reason for doing so.

Would have been a useful squad player when injurys and suspensions hit but no more. Very easily replaceable in my eyes!
TUST member 328
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Our play off season under Ling was his best, as games went by you didn't notice him but he was so influential breaking the opposition play up and no doubt contributed to the numerous 1-0 we had.

But with Manse freeing up wage £, Harding under contract and Young already signed up I don't mind DL moving on so CH has a bit more flexibility to bring in another midfield option
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

I don't think CH wanted him that badly. Think he also got reduced terms. CH dropped him quite often last season.

The problem with Damon is his lack of flexibility. He can only play one role - the defensive anchor man in a midfield three. He plays that role excellently, even getting my player of the season vote in the ling play-off campaign, but unfortunately does not have the ability/positioning/anticipation to play in a midfield two. When he has played in a two, he's been average or poor.

I think this has meant that CH believes it's not the end of the world if he goes. I am also inclined to agree with that. Presume also we will not be playing a 4-5-1/4-3-3 this season, as I doubt there are many better player in the conference in that role. Maybe Shaun cooper...
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

If true, i would be very disappointed to lose DL. IMO every good team needs a DL type player. Never gets the credit he deserves. Iam also surprised to read others comments regarding his style of play. Unless we get someone else in who can do the same job i think we will miss him.