Potential Signings

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Potential Signings

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

More and more clubs are now releasing their retained lists

Few interesting ones today

Billy Bodin released by northampton:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32551365

Durrell Berry released by Cheltenham:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32584794

Definitely would want to see Berry back, I don't think Dawson is good enough!

Anyone else caught the eye?
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
gulls1989
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by gulls1989 »

FGR confirmed their retained list yesterday with the following players being released:

Sam Russell - Experienced keeper.

Chris Stokes - Supposedly a decent LB. On loan at Coventry towards the end of the season so wouldn't be surprised if a league club comes in for him. From Frome according to Wikipedia, so local-sh.

Luke Oliver - Lots of experience at this level and was part of a good Bradford side for a while. Potential replacement for Downes/Pearce.

James Norwood - Looks a decent attacking player from what I've seen. Was at Exeter for 2 years so would know the area and the commitment required.

Stuart Fleetwood - I thought he was playing for Eastleigh until recently(?). Proven goalscorer at this level with Luton and other clubs.

Kieron Forbes - Don't know a great deal about him, but perhaps worth a look...

I'd be happy if we could get Oliver and Fleetwood from that group but, as per usual, wages and our location could be an issue.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Billy Bodin has been released from Northampton as well.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by leetufc »

I would take Berry back, but it depends on the sort of deal we can afford to offer.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Some of the Northampton players look decent too - Newey, Tozer, Carter for example (and even Ian Morris could have good days!). Probably all going to be outside our price range though
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

Of those Northampton lads to me Ben Tozer is the only one with something to offer as long as his knee is ok. Morris? Hell no, one of the worst TUFC players in the last 10 years. As for Berry, if we could afford him then yes please.
Tust member 191
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Tozer is a Plymouth boy. Doubt we could afford him though. A very decent player,
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular

Post by leetufc »

Mattpuma wrote:Of those Northampton lads to me Ben Tozer is the only one with something to offer as long as his knee is ok. Morris? Hell no, one of the worst TUFC players in the last 10 years. As for Berry, if we could afford him then yes please.
Whilst not the most dynamic or exceptional players to have worn a Torquay shirt, Morris is not one of the worst. Especially considering some of the players we have had over the last couple of years!

Morris was a hard working player if not the most gifted. He also played the majority of games in a team which finished fifth (and could have won automatic promotion had it not been for a poor final run in) so he had something about him
Markh84
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Brendan Moore

Post by Markh84 »

Liam Sercombe is leaving Exeter. If we could afford him I think he could be a very decent signing for us.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32591041
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

Lee, I will grant you that Chris Mcphee was worse but I stand by my comment. Morris would have been one of the top earners at the club presumably and yet offered nothing. One paced, couldnt tackle or shoot. As for beating a man, forget it. My point is I dont want him back!
Tust member 191
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Mcphee was very much like Morris to be honest, great work ethic and always commited to the cause, but thats pretty much where his traits as as a pro end!! By all accounts though, a thoroughly nice chap.

Bodin is one that I actually might have back? We know what the lads got in his locker, but on his permanent stint he never ever bought it out. Conference level might suit him a bit more
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular

Post by leetufc »

I also don't want him back Matt. I think in the team he was in he wasn't a bad player for us. We looked to be solid and were not the most exciting, which Morris helped us to offer. A more expressive winger would have made us more fragile at the back.

Unfortunately I think Sercombe is leaving Exeter to get a move somewhere higher up judging by Tisdale's comments. They wanted to keep him but he's chosen to leave, and I don't think he has done that to drop a league.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Not a big fan of going back for former players full stop, especially not for players that perhaps for what ever reason didn't work out for our club, whether from the players point of view, the clubs, or just weren't a favourite with the fans.

So I wouldn't want to see Bodin or Morris back at the club, want to see some fresh faces and a new direction. From that list above Tozer is interesting, but, as others have said would probably be out of our price range, we've been clamouring for an experienced keeper all season Sam Russell is one I think could be a good signing, Fleetwood depending again on money.

Talking of any of the above names could be a distant dream if matters regarding the club ownership are not resolved soon, the conference are very strict on financial stability, our 13th place finish does not guarantee us a place in next seasons conference premier, the clock is ticking, some thing needs sorting soon.
Formerly known as forevertufc
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Improved offers made to Ajala and Ives.
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:Improved offers made to Ajala and Ives.
........... but not Lavercombe ????? :|