Geoff Harrop to Yeovil ?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Geoff Harrop to Yeovil ?

Post by Dave »

Firstly like must I often hear bits of information, it comes from following a small close knit club, sometimes I'm asked like others to keep things confidential so I do not pass on, or sometimes I do not trust the information, so for the first time ever I'm going public with something I've heard as I've not been asked to keep this to myself but can not guarantee this is the case, so forgive me if this is wrong.

We saw an article released about the youth set-up, it was titled "clearing things up" when I read it, my first thoughts were this article doesn't clear up anything as it was very non-commital, it says the current board back the youth set-up, but not actually they're going to keep the set-up, or keep it running at it's current cat 3 level, it also goes on to say "It is impossible to give anyone a guarantee at this present time" which in itself means what exactly, yes, nothing link; http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 65200.aspx

On to the information, I've been told that academy director/manager what ever his title is, has left the club and joined Yeovil, also been told the academy lads will be told on Friday May 30th if the academy will continue and at what level.

I sort hope this isn't true, thing we've suspected that cuts would have to be made to help the club into a position where by it was living with in it's means, however the reason given to me about Geoff Harrop is the club can no longer afford to retain his services, which again if true suggests cuts may have to be more drastic than even I feared.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

As it stands the academy lads have heard nothing on the future of academy so far today, I can only imagine with a possible take over, perhaps nearing completion there's not a lot of point making any decisions as it will be down to the new board.

As for Harrop to Yeovil everything I've heard since writing this thread, suggests that this is the case and he is off to YTFC, however this still remains to be seen, until any announcement is made.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Assume you mean Yeovil rather than Yoevil?! Otherwise he could get lost!
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

He has had 3 job offers- Yeovil, a return to Northampton and a role at the FA...so I've heard.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes I was fully aware I had misspelt Yeovil in the thread title, spotted it soon after posting, didn't think it was worth changing as obvious what I meant.

Ryan (Y4L) that's an interesting post, even though the age group I've worked out locally have now graduated from the academy I still know a few with in, according the messages I've had last week, and this week just gone, GH has indeed gone to Yeovil, I checked it again with them yesterday and said it hasn't been confirmed are you sure and the reply was, yes.

But as I've said I can not confirm personally any of this is true, and wonder if there's been a change of heart on either side, or whether possible interest from other parties is delaying GH move away from the club, also got message, last night, that the academy will run as normal next season, something I'm sceptical about until the new board confirms it.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Geoff Harrop says;

"Too many people have been talking about where I'm supposed to be going, without knowing the facts,"

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... story.html

Don't try and pull that, old with out knowing the facts chestnut Mr Harrop, I've had messages from your own academy lads and parents of academy lads telling me you've "gone" to Yeovil. these rumours of where your supposed to be going, could only have come from something you've said in public, no one else.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

forevertufc wrote:Geoff Harrop says;

"Too many people have been talking about where I'm supposed to be going, without knowing the facts,"

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... story.html

Don't try and pull that, old with out knowing the facts chestnut Mr Harrop, I've had messages from your own academy lads and parents of academy lads telling me you've "gone" to Yeovil. these rumours of where your supposed to be going, could only have come from something you've said in public, no one else.
Hmmmm - you seem to be slightly angrier than need be about this. He seems like he wants to stay but obviously has to explore other options in the 'likelihood' that he will not be able to do so in the same capacity in which he is working in now.

Yes he is talking himself up but there is a reason why Yeovil, Northampton and (he states) Premier League teams are tracking him. I know you do not fully back what we have produced through the youth team but you cannot argue Harrop is highly thought of at our level.

He is just looking after his own and in the same position we all currently would be doing the same.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well if I've come across angry over this Rich, I apologise. I am in no way at all angry over Harrop leaving the club, just irritates me when the likes of Harrop come out complaining about people speculating about him going here, there and everywhere, when the speculation was created by himself.

He has clearly been telling his academy lads and families he's off, and it's because the club can't afford to run the youth set up anymore, so he can't then complain about the speculation.

It's not the case that I personally do not back what we've produced from the youth academy, more the case of me questioning why the club is spending a reported figure of £2,000 a week running such a youth set up (on another forum) when the club has to date produced absolutely nothing from the academy.

And there has to be an understanding of the difference between the academy ( 8-16 year old) and scholar professional ( U18 ) neither Ives, Lavercombe or Odfin came through our academy, Prynn did, but as yet none of these have actually made the grade, see Halpin/Thompson etc.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Please don't think I am having a go Dave - not the case.

Lads and kids spread rumour faster than fans forums! so him being honest and saying he is speaking to other clubs (Yeovil) and that no guarantees can be made about the future of the current youth set-up can quickly change into something else. If you heard it directly from his mouth then fair enough but otherwise might it be a case of 2+2 = 5?
TUST member 328
Mitch
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Matt Elliott

Post by Mitch »

[quote="forevertufc"]Well if I've come across angry over this Rich, I apologise. I am in no way at all angry over Harrop leaving the club, just irritates me when the likes of Harrop come out complaining about people speculating about him going here, there and everywhere, when the speculation was created by himself.

He has clearly been telling his academy lads and families he's off, and it's because the club can't afford to run the youth set up anymore, so he can't then complain about the speculation.

It's not the case that I personally do not back what we've produced from the youth academy, more the case of me questioning why the club is spending a reported figure of £2,000 a week running such a youth set up (on another forum) when the club has to date produced absolutely nothing from the academy.

And there has to be an understanding of the difference between the academy ( 8-16 year old) and scholar professional ( U18 ) neither Ives, Lavercombe or Odfin came through our academy, Prynn did, but as yet none of these have actually made the grade, see Halpin/Thompson etc

What a big mouth **** you are. **** know nothing halfwit.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Mitch wrote:
What a big mouth tw*t you are. f**king know nothing halfwit.
A fine first post.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Wow! That's some first post Mitch!

Added in 1 minute 22 seconds:
Interestingly the only comment on that article refers to players and parents being told that the academy will definitely be there next season and so they are unable to talk to other clubs.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Mitch wrote:What a big mouth tw*t you are. f**king know nothing halfwit.
If you have a reasoned argument for disagreement with what another member (forever) has posted then I am sure we would all like to hear it. If you are connected with Geoff or the youth scheme in anyway then your insight would be very welcomed but I think it is slightly irrational to just respond in such an attacking way (especially as this is your first post) without explaining your reason/s for doing so.
TUST member 328
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Mitch wrote: What a big mouth **** you are. **** know nothing halfwit.
You could at least learn how to use the quote function properly if you are going to insult posters. It adds a bit more weight to your argument, and prevents you from coming across as some sort of bellend.

;-)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Mitch wrote:What a big mouth tw*t you are. f**king know nothing halfwit.
Well I'm absolutely, personally, delighted that one of my posts has inspired you to join the forum, congratulations and may I extent a warm welcome to you.