Eunan O'Kane

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Eunan O'Kane

Post by Gulliball »

Does anyone know for certain exactly what the situation is with our sell-on fee?

He has 12 months left on his deal at Bournemouth, isn't first choice and there's interest in him from other teams (Celtic and Aston Villa linked today). As such, there's surely a pretty good chance that he'll be sold this summer.

If we have 15% and he goes for £2m (a conservative estimate given what Championship players go for these days) that would be £300 000 coming our way, at quite a handy time. £3m and we'd be close to half a million...
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
DaveJB

Post by DaveJB »

I believe the sell on clause was a % on the profit that Bournemouth make on the 175k or however much he went for, I forget
northlondongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northlondongull »

I think that's right DaveJB. The sell on will be on what the profit is. I would assume that the sell on would be 10-15% so anything north of 2 million would be a huge windfall for the club and hopefully a fair amount could be pumped into Nicho's budget.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Why would they want to sell him, he will have to be replaced unless they have too many players in midfield, I would guess that this would cost around £3m- £5M. They are just as likely to extend his contract. I saw him play against Villa in the cup the season before last ( Bournemouths promotion year ), and he was the best player on the park, so I would not be surprised if he is attracting Villa, if this is the case then £5m plus would not be out of the question.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

I would doubt Celtic's interest as they have 18 yes 18 midfielders currently on their books. But a 19th sending us £200k would be gratefully received
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

wodger of awabia wrote:Why would they want to sell him, he will have to be replaced unless they have too many players in midfield, I would guess that this would cost around £3m- £5M. They are just as likely to extend his contract. I saw him play against Villa in the cup the season before last ( Bournemouths promotion year ), and he was the best player on the park, so I would not be surprised if he is attracting Villa, if this is the case then £5m plus would not be out of the question.
Eunan has only played a handful of league games in the last two seasons so I imagine he would be a prime candidate to be sold. No doubt Bournemuth will look to strengthen and consolidate their PL place which would result in Eunan dropping further down the pecking order, rather than selling him and bringing in a like for like replacement.

I doubt £5m will be the figure given the length of time left on hi contract, probably £1-2m more likely for a bit part PL midfielder but that will still be a decent sum in our position.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Bradley Johnson went from Norwich to Derby for £6m last summer, so if there's a few clubs interested then I would say he could very easily be worth £2m-£3m, even with his contract running down. There's a lot of money in the Championship these days - the relegated clubs, the parachute payment clubs and those trying to reach the Premiership. Bristol City were making £9m bids last summer (I think he'd actually be a very good signing for them).
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

O'Kane is in the Irish national squad, but there's competition for midfield places, so it remains to be seen if he makes it to Euro 16. He has a good chance, so if he does, that should do him and Bournemouth and us no harm..
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

Despite the money in the Championship I cannot imagine too many clubs willing to pay a large amount of money for a player who has had a handful of games in the PL and two seasons (and only 49 games) in the Championship. Bradley Johnson had three season in the PL and had just played a major part in Norwich getting promoted, whilst Bristol City were bidding large amounts for Andre Gray, with strikers always going for a premium on other positions.

This is not to knock Eunan as he is one of the best players I have ever seen at Plainmoor and will hopefully spend the rest of his career in the Championship and Premier League. I hope he does go for a big sum, and to Villa as part of their rebuilding could be a good move for both parties, but I don't see it being north of £2m unfortunately.
BobBobBob
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by BobBobBob »

O'Kane may be handed a start tonight in Ireland's friendly with Holland, so if he gives a good account of himself he could yet make the EURO 2016 squad. When was the last time a former Torquay player was included in a major international competition?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36382548

I'd value him at about 2 million pounds and could easily see him attracting interest from most of the clubs in the Championship at that price. His major problem at Bournemouth is they seem to deploy him as a deep lying playmaker and I'm not sure I would say that is his strongest position. He has made useful contributions on the rare occasions I've seen him on Match of the Day highlights.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

BobBobBob wrote:O'Kane may be handed a start tonight in Ireland's friendly with Holland, so if he gives a good account of himself he could yet make the EURO 2016 squad. When was the last time a former Torquay player was included in a major international competition?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36382548

I'd value him at about 2 million pounds and could easily see him attracting interest from most of the clubs in the Championship at that price. His major problem at Bournemouth is they seem to deploy him as a deep lying playmaker and I'm not sure I would say that is his strongest position. He has made useful contributions on the rare occasions I've seen him on Match of the Day highlights.

Paul Hall for Jamiaca in France '98?
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
BobBobBob
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by BobBobBob »

Wow. Good memory!
paul tufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by paul tufc »

Keith Curle for England in Sweden 1992
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Don't forget Jamie ward is in the Northern Ireland squad, and although they still have to cut 3 players to make the 23, the competition isn't in Wards position.

Could well have 2 ex Torquay players there, then!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

BobBobBob wrote:O'Kane may be handed a start tonight in Ireland's friendly with Holland, so if he gives a good account of himself he could yet make the EURO 2016 squad. When was the last time a former Torquay player was included in a major international competition?
Ralph Birkett played for England in 1935. I don't remember it myself. But I expect Wivel does ........ :whistle: